(Newbie) FX Pedals and Qu-16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions (Newbie) FX Pedals and Qu-16

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lou Lou 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Holograms
    Holograms
    Participant

I’m having trouble figuring out how to route external FX pedals and rackmount gear with the QU-16 and the manual is dead silent on the issue. Unsure how to route say a tape echo pedal out and back into the mixer. Would it require using the stereo outputs and then routing it back into the mono inputs? A bit overwhelmed, please help!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Holograms,

Yes, for external send / return FX you typically use a Mono or Stereo Aux Mix as a send to the FX unit, and connect the output of the unit to a Stereo Input channel.

Hope this helps.

Holograms
    Participant

This helps a bunch, thanks Nicola!

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

If you are using a pdeal designed for a guitar, be very careful abotu feeding it too much level! Send it -50 or -30 and use a DI to feed it back into a mic input.
    Personally, I find the internal FX are just fine, don’t see why anyone would want to put a low level, low quality pedal in the circuit. Usually they go after the guitar and before the DI.

Have you explored the internal FX? FX 3 and 4 can be assigned to a single channel as an insert, and there are some very good echo effects.

Remeber, this is digital and can do anything!

😉

Holograms
    Participant

Hi Lou,

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely apply your advice. I have taken a look at the internal effects and they are definitely quite nice. The pedals I have are not cheap, one of them is an Eventide Space pedal which is a very nice reverb and the other is a Strymon El Capistan which is a tape echo emulator that is well and truly outstanding and goes all over everything. Finally the routing question also had to do with sending out to a hardware sampler that can also mangle and add effects to audio in real time. Definitely loving this board so far. Allen & Heath have done a great job, but my opinion may not matter a ton as this is my first hardware mixer.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I get it – those are not silly toys! I’m a mainly live sound engineer, and got my first mixer in 1966, so we come from different paths!

Best,

<L>

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.