Newb question : GLD80 and Ableton Live 9

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Newb question : GLD80 and Ableton Live 9

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Pit Lenz Pit Lenz 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of navarre
    navarre
    Participant

Hello Everybody,
    I know that Dante card is the best solution to send channels to a DAW, then recall DAW tracks in the GLD. Am i right ? Does anyone have experienced this with Ableton Live 9 ? In fact, is this console usable as a studio console as it is for live, and what will be missing on the GLD80 for studio use compared to the Live/Studio consoles as the 01v96i or QU16/24 (or X32 / M32) ? Thank you !
    Thierry

Profile photo of Barrettq
    Barrettq
    Participant

My question is related to this in that I’m wondering what is the best procedure for getting tracks back into the GLD. The goal is to do virtual sound checks. I can get tracks to my DAW, but I’m not sure how to best get the tracks back on their original faders on the GLD-80 so I can make EQ changes, etc and save them so they can be used for a later performance. I know there is a Quick Set option on the iLive for this purpose, but I don’t find anything like that on the GLD. I’m trying to get his figured out for recording a rehearsal on Wednesday night.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Barrett

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

@ Barrett: To my knowledge there is no One-Button-option to switch to virtual soundcheck on the GLD but you can create one with a few steps:

Let`s assume that you use channels 1-24 and record them via direct out using dante, keeping the same channel numbers straight for Input channels and Dante (recorder) channels.
    1:
    To switch to virtual soundcheck, go to the i/o menu, choose the i/o port in tab, click on ip-1, change UNASSIGNED to INPUT (bottom), start with 1 and end at 24. Click Apply and your inputs are now connected to your DAW if your Dante patch is right.
    To go back to inputs again, choose the dSnake tab on top and proceed just the same.
    2:
    Now you can create two scenes with recall filters allowing only your input patch to change: Save dSnake sockets-1/24-to-inputs in (let`s say) Scene 100 and i/o-1/24-to-inputs in scene 101.
    3:
    In scenes window, chose scene-100, open the blue recall filter, choose BLOCK ALL (lower left), go to OTHER and clicl ALLOW PATCHBAY again. Then close the window.
    Do the same with scene-101. Now you have created two scenes that are only allowed to change the patch back and forth, leaving other parameters alone. (Attention, this allows ALL patch bay changes, so be careful not to mess with your output patches)
    4:
    To get a real one-button-solution, assign two user buttons to these scenes:
    Assign two user buttons to recall scene 100 and 101 in SETUP/CONTROLLER/SOFTKEYS. Since soft key assigns can change with each scene, you`ll want to make these two keys (maybe others, too) globally recall safe, so they will always be there to switch your inputs back and forth.
    To do so, go back to the scenes window, choose the scene safes-tab (upper right).
    Choose SOFT KEYS and make these two keys (in my example Key 1 and 2) safe.
    Changes made here apply to ALL scenes in the show, whereas the blue recall filterS used before applY only that one selected scene.

You have now two user buttons to change between real input and virtual soundcheck from your DAW in a true one-button-solution.
    Tweak and adjust your parameters and mix, but dont forget to switch back to dSnake-in before you save to another scene or youre in for a surprise if you recall that scene as the band starts to play 😉

greetings
    pit

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.