NEW WIndow's DAW Software Doesn't Work

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration NEW WIndow's DAW Software Doesn't Work

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Vibes Vibes 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vibes
    Vibes
    Participant

Got my firmware and q-pad softfware updated. downloaded the windows DAW software and installed it but it doesn’t work. Makes the colors on my screen go crazy and will not open at all. I can right click on the icon and get “about”, but no preferences to set it up. only allows compatibility up to win 7, which I am running but it doesn’t work. At all. Very disappointed. Hopefully A&H will get this software running. I need to have a remote controller for my DAW when I am in the studio room to record vocals and drum tracks. I was spoiled by my Tranzport remote but it wont, or I cant get it to work with win 7. I hate when you buy hardware and they dont keep up with drivers for it. Anyone else have their Windows DAW working with QU-16 and Ipad ? I am using Sonor X1. Is it just me ?

Profile photo of Wrir Live Sound Guy
    Wrir Live Sound Guy
    Participant

I couldnt get it to work with sonar x3 either. i got the drivers installed, and got the notification light blinking. set up my qu24 to have the controls, and all. set up the mackie controller settings up, no response. i even HAD a mackie control i sold cause this was supposed to work…

what can i do to help troubleshoot???

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

I’m not sure why you want this interface to work. It’s at least 10 years behind the technology curve.

I was looking forward to this DAW app, but after I read through the documentation, I was very disappointed and did not waste my time installing it.

If you want to see how good mixer software works, look at the Presonus AI products. While I prefer the QU mixer over comparable Presonus mixers, the A&H software doesn’t come close.

Wrir Live Sound Guy
    Participant

presonus, already had it. not nearly as clean as a qu… and no daw integration

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

just to repeat myself: DAW Control isn’t necessary at all to use the Qu as a control surface, as long the DAW allows control surface customization. I’m not a Sonar user, but it seems that Sonar has everything you need to get this running without DAW Control:
    Setting Up a MIDI Device as a Control Surface in SONAR
    Sure, it takes some time, but you are able to customize everything to your needs and you’re not limited to the restrictions of that legacy HUI protocol.
    keeping shut again.

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

Hi all,
    We have set up Qu with Sonar successfully but it’s a bit tricky!

1. Make sure the DAW control app is set to HUI
    2. In Sonar make sure the DAW MIDI and Qu MIDI ports are enabled in MIDI Devices.
    3. In Control Surface setup add 2,3 or 4 CM Labs MotorMix controllers required to control the Qu mixer and assign the respective DAW MIDI ports.
    4. In Control Surface setup add an MMC controller and assign to the Qu MIDI ports for transport control
    5. In the main window drag the coloured controller strips under the channels to the correct positions

This will give you control of faders, mutes, solo’s and transport.

NB: The Sel keys will not select a channel and Transport does not have pause and bank up/down.

Other things to bear in mind, if using QuPad, make sure it is connected before opening the project otherwise MIDI fader channels on QuPad won’t sync (this may affect all DAWs).

Coloured controller strips will need to be repositioned under the DAW channels every time you open Sonar.
    (TBC if there is a resolution to this)

@timothygordon – We are unable to reproduce and issues of colours on screen no appearing correctly and are unsure why you are not seeing preferences in the DAW control app. Could you take a video of this and submit a support ticket to support@allen-heath.com please?

Thanks.
    Harry.

Profile photo of Vibes
    Vibes
    Participant

I need a remote control to run my DAW. That is why I am using Q-pad to start,stop,record,rewind, forward. Thats what I want to do. im not that concerned with using the QU to control midi while I am sitting at the desk. I will try and get some pics of my screen up tomorrow for the A&H folks to see my problem with the colors going nuts.

Wrir Live Sound Guy
    Participant

The CM Labs Motormix worked as far as mute and volume. At least I have that. On the first 8 channels…

I normally only use it on fade out automation…

Profile photo of David Haughton
    David Haughton
    Keymaster

@timothygordon Hi again, you still need to set up the mixer and DAW control app as instructed, whether you use the physical faders or Qu-Pad.

Although, you don’t actually have to set up the MIDI strips in the mixer’s custom layer if you don’t require this.

Here is the knowledgebase article on DAW control setup for Windows:
    https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1164/0/how-do-i-set-up-daw-control-in-windows

and our DAW control Webinar from last week is now on our You Tube channel here:

Once you have setup the mixer’s MIDI ports and DAW control app setup, you can set up MMC transport control on SoftKeys in Qu-Pad.

As you’ll see from the end of the Webinar recording, if you want an even simpler transport interface on your iPad you could use Qu-Control to just give you the soft keys you need.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks.
    Harry.

Profile photo of Vibes
    Vibes
    Participant

The QU DAW software does not work on my win 7 computer.I cant follow the instructions because I cant even get the DAW software to open to assign anything. First screen is after I loaded the DAW software before openong it. Second are the options I get when right clicking before opening. Third After I run the software what happens to my desktop. Fourth my Sonar screen. You cant tell but it is the samt type difference as my desktop before and after running the software. The software will not open so I can assign anything.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Vibes
    Vibes
    Participant

All the pics are not in the correct order. here is the desktop after I ran the software.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Alrod
    Alrod
    Participant

I cannot speak for Sonar, but I can say that the DAW Control software works perfectly With Pro Tools 12.5 running on Windows 10. I learned a big lesson not too long ago. A&H knows how to, and will deliver a working controller. Patience is a virtue in this case.

You probably will not like my next suggestion, but have you tried reinstalling Windows 7 and starting with a clean slate? You are after all dealing with an operating system that was released in 2009. Mainstream support ended in January of 2015. I suspect you have outdated driver conflicts. As Harry stated above, they are unable to replicate your issue, and they have instructions on how to setup QU. In other words, the problem appears to be your system.

I really liked Windows 7, but found many manufacturers are no longer developing or providing upgrades for it.

Profile photo of Vibes
    Vibes
    Participant

Well, maybe I should just upgrade to WIn 10 instead of having to reinstall all my drivers etc. for 7. Something is definately not working the way it is. I was hopeing to hear from someone who has the software working on Win 7.

Profile photo of joel77
    joel77
    Participant

Vibes,

Not Qu related, but I have the Frontier Tranzport working on SONAR 2016(latest update) on a Windows 7 DAW. I just installed the same drivers I was using before Win 7.

It does “go stupid” occasionally, where it doesn’t recognize SONAR. I’ve found if I shut down SONAR AND my DAW computer, it seems to work again when I fire things back up. I have yet to figure out why.

Best,

Joel
    Glaser Audio Produtions

Profile photo of Vibes
    Vibes
    Participant

Hi Joell,
    Which version drivers are you using for the Tranzport ? If I could get mine going until I get my A&H software happening. I supposedly have win 7 drivers for my Tranzport and Sonor sees it but it just doesn’t work. Could you send me the driver that is working for you ? It wouldbe much appreciated. Hers my email vibes3000@bellsouth.net
    I may go try my old version and see what happens.

Tim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.