New to QU32 – Output routing from Pro Tools

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration New to QU32 – Output routing from Pro Tools

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tom tom 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

Hi – first post here- new to QU32 which is USB streaming to and from Pro Tools9 (Win7) –

question: Outputs in DAW (1-32) must route to an input on the QU or ? How can i send directly to the Mix-4 +5-6’s on the back of the QU? I want to send 6 aux’s to my Furman headphone system? Must i use 6 inputs on the QU and then route them to the individual MIX outputs?
    thank you!

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

yes
    this is not an audio interface as you think, it is a mixing desk in the first place

If you record some tracks you can handle your monitoring completely with the QU32
    you can set your headphone mixes with low latency outside of PT and with fader control on a physical surface

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

Thank you SteffenR

you are correct, i am coming from an interface / front-end mixer to the Qu32 and i understand that my workflow will change.

Without diving into the deep-end and learning the DAW Controller program (custom strip / midi / HUI interface) , i hoped to try and pick up where i left off – for the sake of current projects and legacy sessions.

new questions – if fully integrating the board with the DAW – where is my output? how do i finish a mix? USB-A to a external drive? or bounce-to-disk in the box, as i have previously done?
    or do i route my Master L-R from the board back to the DAW and Bounce-to-disk?

i think i fully understand all options but nothing ‘in practice’ yet…

thank you!

SteffenR
    Participant

I’m afraid I have no real answer to your new question, since all your ideas are possible 😉

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

right, thank you! very helpful!

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

ok – more q’s…I also have a AB168 which i have not yet connected. My thought was 16 local inputs and 16 Dsnake – on the QU32 – 32×32 in and out of Pro Tools via USB-streaming
    My question is – the remaining 17-32 Local channels ? they no longer exists since i must choose between local and DSnake – correct?

SteffenR
    Participant

they still exist but are not patched to a channel strip
    you can save setups in scenes and switch between the possible situations
    the use of recall filters enables you to limit changes to patching only

you can leave your devices or microphones plugged and can switch the sockets
    just like on an analog patchbay 😉

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

yes, ok great examples – thank you
    as you might tell, i am fortunate to have scored this great board with the intentions of upgrading my home studio while being shut-down. Many projects ended abruptly a few months ago with full intentions of starting up again with the new hardware.

I could sacrifice 6 more inputs for my headphone feeds and route them to the MIX outs, as i am routing the DAW Mater to Ch31&32 to Master LR and AES.
    I could then use the remaining 24 inputs for sources…this is as close to my past workflow and my head is already around it.

But could you help me get my head around your initial suggestion:
    If you record some tracks you can handle your monitoring completely with the QU32
    you can set your headphone mixes with low latency outside of PT and with fader control on a physical surface

i believe this to mean that i USB-B Stream 30 channels in to DAW while i sub MIX out my 6 ‘groups’ from the board to my headphone feeds
    Chan 31-32 are my DAW Master returns and this is where the latency will occur?
    Is the headphone now tracking to a mix? or how does the headphone continue to receive the 6 individual feeds on playback?

my signal paths are all twisted up in my head, please bare with me?
    🙂

SteffenR
    Participant

Chan 31-32 are my DAW Master returns and this is where the latency will occur?

yes and no…
    the playback latency will introduce on this but it doesn’t matter
    the point is the desk latency is always the same… it does not change with desk processing attached
    take your playback (you can mix it on the master bus of PT to cater the needs of the artist for tracking)
    and send it to a stereo channel on QU and add your channels that you will record and the playback to an aux mix
    use this aux mix for your headphone amps…

that simple…

an advanced version would be to send an artist mix different then the master…
    make shure that you exclude the channels that you actually record from the mix in PT

otherwise feel free to send back to QU all playback signals as single channels and do your monitor mix entirely in QU
    including reverbs and FX, it depends on what you like more… totally matter of taste

it is possible to migrate slowly to the new workflow, do one step at a time

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

thanks again Steffen – let me apply some of this knowledge and report back.

could you just clarify that when you say ‘aux mix’ you are referring to MIX1-4 5-6, etc?

thanks

SteffenR
    Participant

yes I reffered to the mixes 1-10

a different possibility would be to use ME units to provide monitoring for artists…

Profile photo of tom
    tom
    Participant

yes! thanks, that is the ultimate out-come, budget permitting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.