New to QU-24

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions New to QU-24

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Roy Roy 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of domster12
    domster12
    Participant

Okay a noobie question here πŸ™‚ I have just purchased a qu-24 for our band for use in live and recording in the studio – we want to switch to IEM – we haven’t been using any kind of monitoring before. What would be the best setup?

Reason being IEM from the off – we are working sometimes in sound restricted spaces and want to keep levels low …..

Thanks for you help and exicited to be part of the family πŸ™‚

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi

If budget isn’t a problem you could go with the A&H ME-1 monitering system or anything from Sennheiser or Shure. The latter have different models to suit your budget.

Like you I wanted to explore IEM, but without spending a fortune to find out is wasn’t for me, so I opted for the LD Systems MEI 1000 G2 system, but I upgraded the buds for Shure SE535. It has worked well for me over the few months that I used the system, but since we have had a lineup change I have gone back to using a stage monitor as the stage levels have down to a respectable level. However, with that being said, in some instances I still use them and have had some good and bad results with them.

Cheers

https://www.ld-systems.com/en/in-ear-monitoring/mei-1000-g2-in-ear-monitoring-system-wireless/?force_sid=g4f60teskno4n9cbj65r3lvgq2

https://www.thomann.de/gb/allen_heath_me_1.htm

Profile photo of domster12
    domster12
    Participant

with the LD do you need any kind of headphone amp or just an output from the qu24 to the ld transmitter ?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Just an output from the QU is all you need, it isn’t a bad system for the price as long as you invest in some better buds.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you don’t need the full freedom movement look at a battery powered headphone amp.
    Most have belt clips and the cost will be far less than what a good wireless IEM system will be.
    Connect the headphone amps to the mix outs on the mixer.
    Use the QU You app to mix your own monitors.

I’m going to say if you go with wireless IEM’s don’t cheap out on the system, the last thing you want is hearing wireless drop outs and noise directly in your ears.

Hardwired or wireless get good fitting ear buds.

Bonus points for wanting to keep you stage volume low!!!

Profile photo of debzdoodle
    debzdoodle
    Participant

I’ve been using iems with Qu series mixers for some years. In my experience, if you do not need wireless, use a small headphone amp like Behringer P1 or similar. They work and sound great and are a lot less expensive than wireless. In a band situation, usually the drummer , keyboard player and anyone else who won’t be moving around would be fine with a wired unit.
    For wireless, I use mainly Sennheiser EW300 series systems. They are industry standard and very reliable. However, I also own a Carvin system that is great value for money at less than $400. It doesn’t have as many bells and whistles as the Sennheiser, but the sound quality is good and it is built really well.
    I also own a CAD Stagepass system which is pretty good for the money – again under $400 – but is plastic and basic. However, it works well and comes with rack mount.

In my experience there isn’t much out there that can be relied upon for less than $500.
    Remember that wired is always going to provide the most reliable set up so only use wireless if you have to.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item–i-BEH-P1-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CjwKCAjw2rjcBRBuEiwAheKeL6Nn3MNSJYvaJ00JnEYWkCTGCMLKiuvfnj4E_jawfScx_4W9y9CzthoCEzkQAvD_BwE

EM900 Wireless In-Ear Monitor System 518-542MHz

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1122652-REG/cad_stagepassiem_uhf_in_ear_monitor.html?ap=y&gclid=CjwKCAjw2rjcBRBuEiwAheKeLzUyfMTltuOZU6XUKVRz0tkuzzr7GBopiqvizmP51VFJPfUHjfQ7jxoC9kEQAvD_BwE&smp=y

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Domster12, I have two LD MEI 1000 and 3 MEI 100s as extras and for the money they cannot be beaten. They have proven very reliable, but as others have said the supplied buds are basically fit for the bin but there are plenty of affordable quality options out there. As the PA for several bands, I’m asking the users to provide their own anyway. I also have 3 x Behringer P1s and they are again great value. They are stereo, so if you only need mono I think they also do a smaller, slightly cheaper single channel version.

Also, I don’t know where you are based, but be careful of the frequencies you opt for as they are not universally legal on all frequencies.

debzdoodle
    Participant

The supplied ear phones with both the Carvin and the CAD are actually quite good quality considering the cost. However, for the best isolation you might want to consider custom molds like Gorilla Ears or 64 Audio. They are not cheap and you have to be fitted usually by an audiologist but are the best way to get a superior fit. Some folks can use non custom buds and do well but most have a problem getting isolation. Everyones ear canals are different. Isolation is probably more important than anything as it will give you the best low end response. Poor fit usually causes a thin sound and might cause the wearer to be tempted to pull one side out which is a very bad idea.
    If you are lucky you might be able to use something off the shelf like the Westone’s that are very popular for good reason. There is an assortment of ear buds available along with different sizes and you can choose from single, double, triple drivers and even more these days.
    Good Luck

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

Mipro 909 digital IEMs are absolutely replacing the usual industry standards for wireless. I own 5 sets, and several reviews and reports from sound companies reinforce this viewpoint. Less expensive but superior!

For wired, me-1 beats the cheaper alternatives, but Rolls or Behringer can be ok.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Would like to hear those Mipros Barryjam. Not sure they’ve reached the UK yet. How much was a transmitter/receiver combo?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I bought mine here Roy: https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Mipro-MI-909RT-In-Ear-Monitor-Funk-System/253071509588?hash=item3aec3cc854:g:b-4AAOSwtFtZfxTg

I bought mine through my business so no VAT πŸ‘

It’s a great product !

Giga

debzdoodle
    Participant

Watch for latency with digital systems especially with vocals – it can mess with your head.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Thanks Giga. They look excellent but unfortunately I can’t use those frequencies on my licence from Ofcom. Damn!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.