New to gld 80 use, need help

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions New to gld 80 use, need help

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cygnusx-1 cygnusx-1 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cygnusx-1
    cygnusx-1
    Participant

Howdy y’all. I recently took over doing sound at my church. The gld is new to me and I have some real basic questions. I have watched a lot of video’s and have made tons of headway on the actual surface use. Here is what I need to know.

1: The xlr inputs in the stage boxes appear to be connected via cat 5. I may be wrong. I have to determine where they are in the snake, which has a lot of unplugged ends at the input that sends back to the board. This may all sound real stupid and simple, but I am used to old school snake, not this. Any help would be appreciated.

2: Once I figure out above, I kind of understand from the vid’s, but is there an in depth source of information that goes step by step, not the brief overview stuff on you tube? Like I said, I am coming from analog world. Thanks ahead of time guys.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You just need to get mics plugged into the correct input sockets. Then look at you U/O screen and see that they are correct. Then build your layers based on dragging and dropping you needed channels into their correct slots. This can be 1:1 or mix and match however you want. That is to say mic 1 can be on layer 1 position 10 if you want. Once you learn the process they can be pls ed however you choose.

cygnusx-1
    Participant

Yes, i under stand that, how do Ifigure out which xlr from the stage box, is connected to which xlr on the snake going in ab168. It,s a d snake I believe, so there are not individual wires to follow. Sorry if this seems trivial.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

There is a button called ALT VIEW in the middle of the console. Try pushing that to show you which socket is on which strip you have on any layer.

cygnusx-1
    Participant

I will do that. Thanks for the help guys. Feel like I am light years behind but catching up quickly. Funny, I use logic for recording and that was super easy to learn. I think the whole layers thing is just throwing me off.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Glad to help. Anytime. Just ask. I have a demo GLD 80. I have worked with others before on getting them setup and use.

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

If you haven’t already done so, you should get hold of the reference manual at

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/GLD-Touch-Screen-Reference-V1.5_1.pdf

And less useful, but still containing some key information, the user guide at

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/GLD-Chrome-User-Guide-AP9989_2.pdf

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The GLD design which was prior to the QU and SQ series does not have dedicated mix buttons on the right side. The buttons are within the layers you create or be default in the generic scenes. Therefore navigation is a little more difficult. I work on all 3 so I have to rethink when I go back to GLD. It’s a little harder but not bad once you understand it. The left side is usually inputs only but doesn’t have to be. I like the 4 buttons in the middle for gain, pan and user function. I only wish they had been more flexible on user. At least you have two FX there for quick adjustment. It has a better FX and Comp section in my book.

cygnusx-1
    Participant

Thanks a bunch guys. This all really helps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.