New Setup Needs Computor To Multitrack Record

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions New Setup Needs Computor To Multitrack Record

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BobWitte BobWitte 10 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of compy
    compy
    Participant

Greetings from newby’,
    We are upgrading our House of Warship from old analog to digital board. New GLD80 with Dante card, 2412 rack on order and need a new computer, WI-FI router, and multi-track recording software. We use a live band and past recording of services of music and messages have been simple stereo feed from an aux. I can see us using 30 to 40 tracks. In addition to producing a small amount of original music, we will put recordings on a website to download and eventually get to live streaming. One of our guys can build our computer but we are not sure what components we need that play together well with each other and the software/network setup.
    Does anyone have a list of parts to use or NOT to use in an audio setup? Any recommendations on pc components for a build or prebuilt machine would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Profile photo of compy
    compy
    Participant

Also I wan to mention the computer tech favors AMD processors if it matters. Can you use one of the new motherboards with on board graphics to eliminate the Video card? Thanks much for any help.

Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

If you have a dante card, I’m assuming you’ll be using the dante controller and virtual sound card. Check out their minimimum requirements, they are not that steep. Our techie has chosen to use 2 hard drives – always a good idea when doing heavy duty data transfers. We have used reaper for software.

Profile photo of compy
    compy
    Participant

Yes will use virtual sound card.

Our techie has chosen to use 2 hard drives – always a good idea when doing heavy duty data transfers

How do you use 2 drives? Do you mean in a raid configuration? Are there special drives made for continuous data when recording for hours?

Profile photo of pilotspike
    pilotspike
    Participant

Look into using Reaper. It will provide you the ability to track that many channels simultaneously. I think ProTools will limit you to something like 32 unless you pay huge money.

Profile photo of bob274
    bob274
    Participant

I prefer Reaper for recording from Dante over Pro Tools. It’s very cheap, and WAY faster than Pro Tools. Much less resource hungry and less limitations. Then you can import the audio into any other software for editing.

Profile photo of compy
    compy
    Participant

looks interesting, I will look into Reaper. What do you think about Qubase? In the future if we ever got into video recording would any of these be a better choice? Thanks guys… good info!

Profile photo of pdherring
    pdherring
    Participant

Get yourself a mac mini, use reaper and you have everything you need in one simple box. We do lots of theatre shows and very often throw 48 channels of audio down on reaper. We then take the files away and use pro tools or logic to master them. The mac mini has my vote, yes its not a PC but for what you want it will be bullet proof. Also get yourself a Airport Extreme, nice quick and simple to set up and again will not let you down. So from this you are probably thinking yeah yeah we have an apple worshiper here. Yes I do like apple products but only because they cut down on any complications and have never let me down. Also if you have an issue with it you walk into an apple store and get it replaced. No worrying about sending equipment away for weeks on end.

Profile photo of compy
    compy
    Participant

pdherring: We then take the files away and use pro tools or logic to master them.

What equipment do you use to master? Is that where the heavy load on the computer is really at and what equipment might be recommended for a new mastering setup?

Thank you very much for your reply!!

Profile photo of pdherring
    pdherring
    Participant

Our setup depends on who masters it. If we do it in house then my setup is nothing crazy. Its a top spec’d Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM. I have a mBox and a set of studio monitors, I use Logic X with Waves plugins. But the basic requirement of recording is that you get jitter free wav files that can then be imported into any studio setup.

TBH if you get yourself a high end Mac Mini to begin with both can be done on the same machine. We had some issues with the release version of Logic X and more than 25 channels so we switched to Reaper as per so many people on this forum suggesting we do so. I have never looked back. It is so simple to setup and just works every time without any worries. This is my main requirement in a multi track recording getting the job done with as little effort as possible and the mac does it every time. You can still have Logic installed on the same machine and once reaper has recorded the files simply import it into logic for mastering.

Hope this helps. These forums were invaluable to me when I first got the GLD and I can honestly say I am chuffed to bits with the ease of our setup now.

Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Compy –

re: Two Hard Drives

Not a raid, just adding an additional internal hard drive to the computer. Writing to a second drive avoids the disk activity required by the operating system.

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

+1 Dante, +1 Reaper, +1 Mac Mini (although we use Mac pro laptops), +1 on second drive to record to (we use Firewire 800 to external, bus powered drives). We setup a User Account on the Mac just for recording. That account is a minimalist account as far as anything else going on in the OS. We also turn off all wireless (Bluetooth, WIFI). Have recorded vast amounts of audio, one session had 50 channels (added mains, and some matrix outs and we were maxed out on channel count). We usually use to laptops for critical events (you can set up the GLD Dante to not use the secondary Dante port as a redundant port) and we also have gone to three laptops through an appropriate Ethernet switch based on the Dante requirements for a network switch.

Also, for critical events, everything (GLD, AR’s, network switch, computers) is on several UPS’s. Don’t want an accidental plug kicked out of an outlet…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.