New QU-16 owner!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions New QU-16 owner!

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ron Ron 10 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Just ordered a lovely QU16 today, and can’t wait to get my hands on it. This will only be my 2nd digital desk (my other is a StudioLive 1642), so will probably be picking all your brains for info.

I love new toys! 😀

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

You’re in for a treat! I’m a new QU owner and had Presonus mixers too. Recording without a laptop is the killer feature for me. Used my desk on two gigs last weekend and it was a pleasure!! Good luck and a great purchase:)

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Thanks robb, that’s one of the key features for me too having come from the Presonus. Also the ability to setup the wifi/ipad control without the need for a laptop is also a bonus.

Only thing I might miss is the SMAART tools, and the spectograph when ringing out. But who knows what updates we might get 😉

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

you have a RTA screen in the EQ-section on the iPad or a bigger RTA screen on the surface for ringing out a monitor!
    Despite with Presonus you only have the smaart / spectograph for your outputs, not for your inputs (that’s what i experienced a few month ago, don’t rage me if i’m wrong) whereas you can easy PAFL an input-channel with a measurment microphone with the Qu-16! (Not really necessary for ringing out a wedge but even more powerful during show with a measurement microphone at FoH (audience)

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Yea I’m sure I’ll soon get back into using the RTA as I did before, and the ability to run it on the input stage too is cool. The spectograph (especially as it had the GEQ overlay) was still very useful. Just two different ways to do the same job I guess, but I can’t deny how much easier it was with the spectograph when ringing out.

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

When you are using the Qu-Pad App to ring out the system or monitors, it shows any frequencies that are feeding back as a red light above the corresponding slider control. See attached image.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

Use the Graphic EQ fader flip button. It puts the eq on the channel faders and the channel level led’s become the RTA.

I also use/recommend Audio Tools by Studio Six for RTA & Spectrograph including a version of Smaart for the iphone and ipad.

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

Thanks Ron, haven’t gotten myself an iPad yet, but it’s next on the list for sure.

I knew about the fader flip of course, but I was using it from the LR RTA screen…unfortunately you can’t see whether or not it’s the left or right side frequencies without counting your button presses on the button. Not a big issue at all, and it’ll be much better using the RTA on the iPad I’m sure.

I have Audiotools on my phone, but without a measurement mic, not sure I’d even bother with SMAART.

Profile photo of Ron
    Ron
    Participant

It’s great even without the mic. In live audio you just need a quick reference for taming resonance & feedback. It’s actually calibrated for the internal mics in both iphones and ipads!

I do want to the their measurement mic to help tuning systems during installs.

I would like to try the full version of SMAART on a computer and take the class on how to use it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.