New Help with GLD80 Set Up

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions New Help with GLD80 Set Up

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Bennett Michael Bennett 2 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Michael Bennett
    Michael Bennett
    Participant

I am the IT guy at our church. We currently have a GLD80, AR2412 and 2 x AR84. We currently do our livestream with an AUX off the GLD80. We would like to have a second console that could be used strictly for the livestream and could use our current set up and retain the GLD80.

We are not opposed to replacing the GLD80 with something newer and better. And use the GLD80 for the livestream. We currently use an Aviom 16 for our IEMs. So if we were to go with a Dante card (which has a long backorder) I am not sure how that would interface with the Aviom system.

I actually have bought a ME-1 just for the livestream and figured it might be the best cost effective option for the livestream. We don’t need a ton of control at the livestream desk but it would be nice to have a hardware solution.

I have tried the GLD Editor software and it works but once again it would be nice to have some hardware control.

Profile photo of Jeff
    Jeff
    Participant

We have almost the same setup (GLD-80 w/AR2412+AR168 and a local AR84). We initially used the GLD Editor for our livestream with a Stereo Aux, but like you, we wanted a hardware solution (would have been nice if the GLD Editor could be used with a MIDI fader pack, huh?). So we got a 2nd GLD-80 and two M-ACE cards (Dante would have been nice but just too expensive). If we want to send a stereo Dante output somewhere, the Audinate AVIO adapters are very cost effective: https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio.

The ME-1 isn’t a bad idea for a livestream feed, as it gives you 40 channels (and grouping), hardware control and local headphone outputs for monitoring. The problem is, you can’t mix and match ME-1 and Aviom (I don’t *think*…pretty sure it’s a global setting). If that’s the case, you could also use an Aviom mixer, just limited to 16 channels.

The 2nd console is the best option for control, especially if you have a separate room available. We’re loving the move. You could get another GLD (used, there’s some good deals out there) and a pair of M-ACE cards like we have, or you could upgrade to two SQ mixer with the SQ Link card to do the same thing. The SQ takes a Dante card as well, so you could use the GLD with an SQ if you have Dante cards for each.

If you get a GLD Dante card, as you’ve probably discovered, you can interface with any Dante device, whether it be a separate console (GLD, SQ, Avantis, etc) or with a Digital Audio Workstation (and most of them can use Midi Fader Packs like the Behringer X-touch, Presonus FaderPort or Mackie MCU for tactile physical control). Oh and convert over to the ME-1 for IEMs…your musicians will love you for it.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff

Profile photo of Michael Bennett
    Michael Bennett
    Participant

Super informative. I am looking for ace cards now and it appears they are discontinued. So I am going to try to find some used ones. Then I will need to convince the church board to ditch the avioms. They were originally purchased because the me-1 wasn’t out then.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.