New guy questions

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions New guy questions

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RobJ RobJ 9 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RobJ
    RobJ
    Participant

Hi,

not quite yet a QU user. I’ve used X32 Rack and am using Mackie DL1608 right now. Doing some research and seriously looking into the QU-PAC. This unit looks amazing. With the 1.7 update it seems to hit all the points I was looking for. I do have a couple of questions, specifically dealing with the Ipad app, since I don’t have the unit and could only play with the app in demo mode. If anyone could help, I’d greatly appreciate it.

How do you change the HPF frequency in the PEQ? I fell silly and I’m sure it’s something easy, I just can’t find it.

Is there a list of what exactly is assignable to the soft keys? For instance, am I able to choose from the app, which channels are recorded or not recorded in multitrack mode or does that have to be done from the main unit? Also is routing available on the app with soft keys?

Watching this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPTLzybIw3Y at around the 2 minute mark, he mentions a third more powerful app being available. Any idea what this is, or is he talking about 1.7?

Does the QU have the ability to record multitrack with different pick off points per channel. In other words, could I record say 8 channels pre-fader, then route the main mix to two other channels and record post fader?

thanks all for any help.

Rob

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

When you are actually connected to the QU the HPF will show up and you can adjust it from the iPad.

3rd App? Hmmm. Wonder where that came from? I don’t see a 3rd App. Nicola?

I won’t get into the recording questions since I don’t use it for that.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You can record one position for channels, but you can also record outputs, and L&R atleast have pre/post fader options.

The manual is a good place to start – doesn’t take too long to read cover to cover if you don’t have to stop and go over each thing…

Profile photo of RobJ
    RobJ
    Participant

Thanks GC and Bob.

You’re right Bob. I had grabbed the quick start guide and reference guide, but hadn’t quite gotten to page 72 yet. Then I found this.

Setup functions not available:
    • FX patching
    • Local/dSNAKE Preamp source selection
    • Global Qu-Drive/USB B source selection
    • Insert switching and channel linking
    • Output patching
    • Aux source routing options
    • Matrix sends and routing
    • Show memory store and load
    • Scene Recall Filters and Safes edit
    • Copy/Paste/Reset of parameters
    • Signal Generator
    • Talkback
    • System configuration, options and preferences

Was hoping to be able to have complete access of the Setup functions in case I wanted to use the QU-Pac on very small gigs and leave it on stage and do everything remotely.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

How many of those things need to be done during a topic though?

Even talkback can be put on a soft key, and therefore controlled over the iPad…

Profile photo of RobJ
    RobJ
    Participant

Hey Bob,

I know not one product cannot be everything for everybody, but since you asked. For me I was hoping to have the ability to leave the QU-pac on stage and not have to use a snake in a small place, think coffee house, small bar etc. Let’s say you have an all acoustic show with 5 to 10 acts like an open mic or benefit concert and you’d like to make multitracks and give them to the performers. Each act may only be using 2 inputs (solo artist with guitar) or be using up to 10 inputs (5 instruments and singers). I was hoping to be able to arm and unarm tracks as needed. I guess you could just leave 10 tracks armed all the time and delete the unused tracks after the show.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

just to mention: If the QuPac has the same multitrack recording as a Qu16/24/32, then you always record 18 tracks. Not more, not less. You may assign which channels to record but you can not “arm” channels for recording as you do on a DAW.

Profile photo of RobJ
    RobJ
    Participant

Excellent Andreas. Thanks. That makes it easy. If I understand right, the softkeys can be assigned to record and stop stereo or multitrack recording. Gosh I can’t wait to get my hands on the Qu-pac.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Hey Rob,
    Like Bob said, a lot of that stuff you might not need once the gig is up and running. I’ve just sold my DL and my Qu-pac is en-route to me. If it sounds, as I expect it will, like my Qu24, I will have no regrets selling my DL. It was a great little mixer but non tech guys and I could hear a whole new level of clarity when using the 24 instead of it.
    I ordered the pac before v1.7 came out and was a bit worried about depending on qu-pad.
    Not now!!
    The upgraded qu-pad app is just what was needed.
    The guys at A&H have answered a lot of our requests, there may well be more to come!?
    There’s a lot of stuff there that Master Fader never offered, good as it was for me.
    Not particularly impressed with the Behringer apps, don’t know if they have that level of detail either and that would also involve buying their stuff………

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I would just like to see the QU-pad be as responsive as the Master Fader is. I haven’t used it with a mixer. But I like the feel and response on the faders. QU pad is great but has its clunkiness

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

The statement about “third more powerful app” is interesting but can you trust a guy in a Riddler Costume?

Profile photo of RobJ
    RobJ
    Participant

Hey Robbo,

Congrats! When do you think you will get it? If you don’t mind me asking, who did you order with? I can’t find it in stock yet.

mamerica, I’m wondering if maybe he should have been wearing the Joker costume.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Hey Rob,
    I ordered from Andertons in the UK, £1299 (cheaper than Thomann). They had eight more in stock last time I looked. Should be here Tue or Wed

Profile photo of RobJ
    RobJ
    Participant

Awesome Robbo. I think I have to wait a little longer on this side of the pond. Enjoy and give a report back as soon as you can.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.