New GLD coming?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions New GLD coming?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

What do you think is this?
    https://youtu.be/1a88YjKPtGc

ddff

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I would bet you’re right!

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Would be nice to know my GLD ecosystem is not passe. Will just have to wait two more days.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

OK, chill- they released SQ, that is something between Qu and GLD.

SQ

ddff

Profile photo of tylermartin86
    tylermartin86
    Participant

Look at Allen and Heath’s timeline. They actually took down the software timeline, or at least I can’t find it anymore. This is a replacement to the GLD. It has roughly the same idea behind it (48 channels, fully configurable I/O, etc.)

The GLD hasn’t had an update in over 2 years. Apparently selling you a $10k console, then dropping the price by almost 50%, then only giving you updates for 3 years is good enough for them. They won’t give us GLD users another feature update. They don’t care about us. They did this exact same thing with the iLive.

Now don’t get me wrong. My GLD is amazing. I love that console. It does a lot of what I want it to do. Its missing some simple features that would be super easy to implement. But overall, a great console. Its also not like the GLD is going to completely stop functioning as a sound board just because a new product was released. It just sucks to know that your 5 year old console (it came out in 2012, purchased in 2014) is already considered an old product.

Look at Yamaha and their LS9 and M7CL. Those consoles were released back in 2005/2006 if I’m not mistaken. Their last update to those consoles was early 2014. So they gave you updates for 8 to 9 years. Why can’t Allen and Heath give you updates for close to that?

Profile photo of plevrier
    plevrier
    Participant

The SQ looks like an upgraded Qu. It has the straight forward setup like the Qu, but more functions like side-chain for Gate / Comp , but lacks 8 FX send busses for all FX units (it has 4). Also the mixbus idea is Qu like (switchable between bus or aux). Ok it is a 96k console. As I look the GLDs (and dLive) eco system is better than SQ. And why put in so much local I/O ??? I will never use it because I use a CAT cable to an external box on-stage ! Not to mention the extra weight for the connectors and waste of money.

My golden dream for now would be a dLive C2500-ish console with a CDM8 rack build in the console itself and be able to use DX168 (or DX2412 or DX3216) box(es) between stage and FOH and no redundancy at all.

Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

@tylermartin86
    On their FB page, A&H say: SQ does not replace the much-loved GLD. GLD is still a current part of our range, with a firmware update coming by end of the year.

There was mention on this forum too of an update coming. Not much details though. As you say, it does much more than what it did when I bought it, so I can’t complain.

I think the fact that you can keep your existing AR boxes if you upgrade to SQ is great and shows that they do care about us. They could have gone 96k DX only.

> They did this exact same thing with the iLive.
    I don’t get what you’re saying. iLive got 9 free major updates within a 10 years lifespan, that’s not far from Yamaha (maybe better when you look at the features they added)!

Profile photo of Andy-Orr
    Andy-Orr
    Participant

The SQ looks to be the latest pro-sumer board. The GLD still slays it in power and processing. I feel the pain everyone else does with the GLD but honestly, it’s such a well thought out board that even four years later, I’m not feeling like I’m missing much other than a couple grand… $$$

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

The SQ looks to be the latest pro-sumer board. The GLD still slays it in power and processing. I feel the pain everyone else does with the GLD but honestly, it’s such a well thought out board that even four years later, I’m not feeling like I’m missing much other than a couple grand… $$$

Yes. It’s a great board! I’d love to see a GLD3 board with the FPGA processor so that it will speak with the dLive directly at 96KHz.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

There are a lot of variables here in marketing.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

If the GLD had side chain compression and I would be happy for quite a while to come. Without it my console sits unused in its case for over a year now.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

It has side chain filter on the compressor isn’t that good enough for you 😉

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Mr Voltz,

Side-chain compression opens up a whole new avenue to creative possibilities. Do a search in these forums and some have mentioned what they do with it. It is present on mixers MUCH cheaper.

John

Profile photo of guma
    guma
    Participant

Actual rumors?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

This is an old topic, and the video was the SQ series. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.