New console ideas

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions New console ideas

Tagged: 

This topic contains 34 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of andrescarbonel andrescarbonel 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of titoen
    titoen
    Participant

I agree with all. mice, keyboards, possible other I/O options. but what would make me happy and all warm and fuzzy… FOH/Monitor options for the Qu series.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

“Another thing very important could be the possibility to putone input to various channels, eg. In1 in the channels 1,2,3&4in QU and especially on GLD. Many engineers need to do that in their show, and so far, I didn’t know how to do it. That is possible currently in the most consoles.

You can do this with a dSnake, not with local connections.

Profile photo of David J.
    David J.
    Participant

Really? On GLD? Could you explain me how? I could never. I really appreciate if you explain me the way I could never.

Many thanks!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

In the preamp screen on GLD you have a selection in upper left I think to the source for that channel. So say go to channel 5. Go to that selection button and select input socket 1. So now mic 1 is on strip 5. And so on.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

Channel Insert jacks on the QU, please. At least for a few channels anyway.

For example, I want to compress incoming bass guitar and I want it to be compressed in both mains and monitors alike. I can’t see any simple way to make an outboard effects loop without burning up mix channels and additional input channels.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

@gordon: don’t forget that on a digital console such channel inserts require additional DA/AD stages which adds latency and noise to the system and, of course, increase cost significantly. We already have compressors and similar which are regularly used on a per-channel basis and its already possible to take monitor feeds from post-compressor point (post-all).
    On the other hand having a couple of “assignable insert jacks” which could be inserted to any channel/mix/master etc. would indeed be a great idea.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

An entirely pre-digital insert could be placed between the preamp and ADC, but of course then the insert would be tied to the socket, not the channel!

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

@andreas: Yes, I am aware of the Post-All setting, but that would completely ruin the bass player’s personal (IEM) mix.

@mervaka: Good point. When the XLR-input is in use, there is already a 1/4″ jack there (Line-In) going to waste. Why couldn’t I just push a button and have that same jack convert into an insert? Would it be a problem that it comes before the A/D stage? (Is the Preamp analog?)

I suppose a completely different approach might be to give the user the ability to re-order the various processing sections in the channel signal path, i.e., swap the Gate and Compressor so that “Pre-EQ” Mix source point can include the compressor. (I know it is standard practice to not compress a stage mix for the benefit of vocalists, but in some special cases such as this, the need may arise.)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Not to be a spoiler but….
    I think a big plus to the move to digital consoles was the ability to declutter and simply our work flow. Sure I love outboard gear. I own some very expensive and vintage gear for studio use. But they are tied to a big analog console. That’s part of the reason.
    I feel that if that is your desire then you need to stay in that environment. I have always said. I think these consoles were designed primarily for live use but just happen to record. I have never looked at them as a studio console but that’s another discussion. I think you just have to work with them the best that they can offer you which is a ton of bang for the buck. No one brand is perfect. You have to pick what will work best in your case. You probably won’t get to 100% of your desires but should get close.

Everyone has their pet wants. There is no way that any manufacturer can address everyone of them.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Surely the thing that’s missing from A&H’s range of digital desks is a tiny one, priced from £250 or so. Several others available now, or very soon, with small number of preamps & phone/tablet as main (or only) control.

No idea if putting the QU-16 brain in a tiny box with say 4 preamps + some line in, would be feasible, would work on price, or if a compleatly new product would be needed, but I’d find it very useful.

Rather than built in WiFi though, which seems to give other products lots of problems, I’d sugest a USB port that “speaks” iOS/Android, and let us add our own WiFi if it’s required.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Mark. I kind of expected to see that happen but thankfully it hasn’t. The SB is sort of an attempt in that direction. I applaud A&H for not joining the race to the bottom yet as others have.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I would be interested in a GLD2.0. Something to bridge the gap between GLD and dLive:

– 64 x 30 x 8 fx
    – Dsnake protocol with universal ports (no “expander”-only ports on the surface)
    – 2+ i/o card slots
    – Built-in 32×32 USB recording
    – 3 Surface Models: 12 (rackmount), 20, and 28 fader
    – Larger multi-touch screen + monitor out
    – Keyboard connect
    – Virtual patchbay similar to dLive
    – Dedicated mute groups
    – DCA spill
    – Better ergonomics (screen/channel strip at an angle better suited for the seated position)
    – Better mobile apps (full access via iPad app, phone app for monitor mix)

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

That would be a killer console. I’m just not sure AH is willing to jeopardize dLive sales for it. Most of my general sales area is QU. I think if that were available I might could push some folks that direction who likely can’t justify dLive. I haven’t pushed GLD a lot since being forced to have stage boxes for full channel count and local inputs runs the price up. That model would need full local inputs like QU.

Profile photo of ian.hind
    ian.hind
    Participant

Been using a Qu-16 and Qu-32 multiple times a week, very happy with it.

With that said, a Qu series V2 would be nice, no need for a full model change, just some upgrades.

In order of importance to myself:

1: LCD scribble strips
    2: More digital I/O (2 AES I/O)
    3: Same mix bus across all models, so a Qu-16 can be connected to a 32 channel digital snake and bounce between layers to access all channels. It would be VERY convenient for me to travel to a gig with the Qu-16 and stage box instead of the Qu-32 and stage box if I only need 20 or so channels.
    3: Option cards (Madi, Dante, extra I/O, etc.)
    4: Digital stage box with digital I/O. It’s a bummer when I run the digital stage rack out it’s analog XLR into an amp that has an AES input. I just did 2 totally unnecessary conversions.
    5: Outputs available to gang stereo or all mono, seems strange you’re forced into stereo sends.
    6: Class Compliant so no drivers are needed for audio on either Mac/PC
    7: Offline editor
    8: Multiple sample rates, being forced into 48k feels like I’m in Avid’s world.
    9: Wordclock I/O, we often travel with a black lion which goes unused with the Qu’s
    10: Keyboard support
    11: Sidechaining on compressors and gates
    12: Backwards compatibility with V1 equipment on V2 equipment so thousands of items don’t end up in a landfill sooner than necessary.
    13: One of the stereo channels should have RCA connections in parallel. There’s been many times where we’ve lost our RCA to 1/4″ cables and ran around like lunatics looking for a way to play an iPod or CD player.

Profile photo of ian.hind
    ian.hind
    Participant

I forgot one HUGE issue I have with this console.

When activating USB audio on a channel, it DISABLES the channels input.

So you CANNOT use the Qu inputs to a computer, and the output from the computer back into the console.

It makes it impossible to use USB audio as an insert on a channel.

You CAN do this with other consoles, so it shouldn’t be a limitation.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.