New Compressors on gld

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions New Compressors on gld

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nik Nik 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nik
    Nik
    Participant

I’d be very interested if the the “new” compressors are really new compressor algorithms, or if they are just new graphical representations.
    i know that the A&H Mixers already had several algorithms for their compressors (slow opto, Punch, etc…)

can anyone give me informed answer on this?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Do you really think it was a deceitful marketing exercise? I doubt they’d go to such trouble.

Profile photo of Nik
    Nik
    Participant

Well the whole Chrome design is a Marketing exercise since the insides did not Change as far as i have heard. its only Software wise, that things have changed.

i would think it would be very possible, thats why i asked the question. and if it is, its fine i guess. People like to mix with a nice Interface. and most competitors also have nice designs for their compressors.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Chrome was a facelift. Trying to pass off an existing compressor as a new addition is just deceit.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Well. I wasn’t going to jump into this but what the heck. I have been dealing with this stuff from day one. I have been doing audio for darn near 50 yrs. I have just about seen it all. I will say this. I love working with the AH consoles. I have worked with other brands too but sell AH.

That said I have also been in live sound and owned a commercial Nashville studio for many years. I have used the worst and the best. I still own some of the best EQs and compressors ever made.
    I have yet to find anything digital that sounds as good to me. All dig consoles for the most part are cleaner but are sterile. The sound of the EQs and compressors doesn’t come close to the analog, in a box world. Sorry. I and other veteran engineers and mixers somewhat agree. I used to mix albums with many boxes patched. Then after late 90’s got into PT mixing. In the box with plugins. I never ever felt I achieved the sound I once had. I went back and started integrating LA2’s and 3’s and 1176’s and Lexicon 480L verbs. It changed everything.
    Some might disagree. That’s fine. I just know what I heard.
    All that to say. There is not an ounce worth of difference in most of the plugins on all current consoles. I mean ALL. Not just AH. But, I love the boards and am selling them to all new installs.

Profile photo of Nik
    Nik
    Participant

GCumbee, Interesting post and i mostly would agree with what you say. Analog and digital sounds different, and many would say analog sounds better. It all depends on how you use it though. You can make both sound great or really bad.
    But in any way, digital consoles are a great thing for live sound and i wouldnt want to miss them!
    All this has nothing to do with the topic at hand though 😛

mervaka, You might be right. I would still like to hear an official statement.
    I havent heard the new compressors yet, since i havent worked with a GLD recently.
    All im saying is, quite a few companies use the Plugin Interface of famous gear (la2a, 1176, etc) but that doesnt mean thats the way it sounds. They often sound very different. But its what consumers like to see. Also it does tell the consumer what type of compressor to expect.
    The GLD already had several types of compressors per channel (slow rms, punchy, etc) but they all had the same interface. why would they change the algorithm of these?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

I’ll stay out of the analogue vs. digital debate 🙂

The 16T and 16VU are new compressors added to V1.5. We left all other algorithms as they were (Peak, RMS, Slow Opto and Punchbag). Whereas these 4 algorithms are our own take on different compressor types (though inspired by analogue units in some cases), the 16T and 16VU are faithful recreations of classic industry standard compressors. More info here. They took a lot of R&D work (and passion) – by no means a mere reskin!

We are not claiming this is unique (emulations are commonplace in the plugin world), but what is unique is the ability to use them on any channel, on the fly, without the latency issues and license hassles associated with external plugins.

Profile photo of Nik
    Nik
    Participant

Thanks Nicola.
    Pretty cool stuff! And can you really have an instance of these Compressors on each Input with no latency or phase issues?

If thats the case, i can’t wait for more models to arrive 😛

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.