New and in trouble No Audio at all

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting New and in trouble No Audio at all

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Paul Paul 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Hope it’s me missing something simple, I have a new Qu 16 and all I have connected at the moment is a Roland Integra7 on input 1&2. I can see the signal path via the leds, I have sound coming in, I have signal on the LR output…What I don’t have is sound. Neither my speakers or Headphones are reproducing the audio that is apparently going through the desk. After 5 hours I am tearing my hair out and beginning to think the desk is faulty…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Go to the “Scenes” button and load a scene. That should do it.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Then check DCAs…

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

There are no scenes…Just blank spaces. So just in case with little hope I created one and loaded it…of course no change.

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

DCA’s missed that post, um I have no idea what they are, but I’ll take the poke and pray approach.

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Nope still nothing, am I wrong to expect that out the box this thing should be set up so plugging in a source inputs are just bussed to LR by default? and for sure plugging in headphones should give me something?

Dick Rees
    Participant

You really haven’t given much information, so we’re guessing.

I believe you need to have the Roland connected to a keyboard to get it to output sound, but you make no mention of a keyboard…just the module.

Plug in some headphones and turn up the headphone volume pot to about 10 o’clock.

Try plugging a mic into Channel one. raise the input gain on the channel (per the manual) to +30. Solo (PFL) the channel and tap on the mic. Do you hear anything in the headphones?

If so, raise the channel fader to the “0” mark, the Master fader to the same level, release the channel one PFL button and listen to the mains. Hear something?

If so, you should be good to go.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

In the scenes there is a reset mix settings button…

What firmware version are you on?

Dick Rees
    Participant

Verify sound at each point along the way using your headphones beginning with the Integra. Do not use lights as a reference, use sound. Lights do not necessarily indicate sound. Or maybe you can explain what lights usually sound like.

When you said “input 1&2” were you referring to the first two channels or to one or the other of the St1 or St2 inputs? What cables are you using to connect? Do you know how to dial up the input gain? Do you know how to “solo” a channel in the headphones using PFL?

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Yeah done most of that, the integra is cycling through it’s demo mode. Everything each side of the Mixer, The synth and the amp speaker system are working, swap back to my old mixer and every thing is fine. That narrows the problem to just the Qu. So yes I know how to set my input gain, yes I know how to solo…But of course you had to ask 🙂 I get nothing from my headphones, yes they work, yes the headphone pot was turned up.

I know going by lights is not the best way but…and for me the big but is. If I can see a good input level, if the level is as expected all around the desk, if there is a solid signal on the LR output leds and I cant hear it…I either missed something, or the desk is not outputting audio.

Did that with the mic, just to do everything asked of me, and yes folk I do appreciate the help thanks a lot. But same deal, see the signal, cant hear it.

The integra is in channels 1/2 of the 16 input channels, panned left and right and as I say just cycling though it’s demo.

I will say it’s safe to assume I do know my was around an analog desk, what to plug in where, inputs soloing all that good stuff. No I have no idea what light sounds like (made me chuckle)…but I do know what sound looks like as it triggers leds on it’s way round the busses.

Firmware is the latest, I tried on the rev that it came with and when I got no sound that was my next port of call, so…1.73 now.

I do know this is a tough ask, and again, appreciate the help.

Dick Rees
    Participant

OK. Did you try the “reset mix settings” as Bob suggested? If that didn’t work you can try a hard reset for the board: Hold down both the “reset” and ” setup” buttons and power up.

One more question. Is this a new or used desk? Did it come with v1.73 installed, did someone else update it or did you do an update?

Hard reset…

Good luck.

PS

You can try assigning L/R prefader to the Alt Out jacks and see if you get anything, but if you’re getting nothing in the headphones when soloing the channel I can’t imagine what’s up…or down, in this case.

Be sure to check the channel assignment to verify that 1/2 are indeed routed to the Mains bus, but you should be able to hear the input via the headphones on PFL.

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Yes did all that before coming on here, several times ha ha. It’s new, came from Thomman in Germany, guess I’ll be calling them tomorrow. Given the ideas so far, all quite rightly assuming I may not know a great deal, I really am thinking there is something wrong.

Dick Rees
    Participant

And check your global source to make sure the local inputs are selected, not the USB/d-snake inputs.

Profile photo of Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Yup their fine, I even happily worked out how to record the signal to my DAW and bring it back into the desk, so I’m fairly sure I have the rooting basically worked out. I was 80% convinced I have a duff unit before I came here, I’m now 95%, with 5% hoping I can still find something silly.

Dick Rees
    Participant

If you’ve tried everything else regarding reset mix settings and hard reset and no improvement, I guess I’d do a very careful fresh download of the firmware and re-install.

I tried to replicate your scenario on my board (v1.5) and could not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.