Network Redundancy Setup and Director

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Network Redundancy Setup and Director

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BILDIC BILDIC 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BILDIC
    BILDIC
    Participant

Hello,

Is it possible to connect mixrack and 1x PC with director in network redudundancy mode?

How should i set up basic redundancy network between mixrack and PC with director?

Set up mixrack and surface (Dual redundant GigaACE) – all with 2 network cards is clear.

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

You will have to use 2 identical network switches, supporting ethernet trunking. 1 switch in each end (Mixrack and Director, set up port trunking on both of them. You can set it up for 2, 3, 4 lines or how many you like – this is usually used to eliminate the 1gbps limit, but will also work as a redundant connection in these types of setups 🙂

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

If you accept the fact that the MR has a single switch in it with 2 ports (point of failure), here are the options:

1) As Tor spelled out with 2 switches, but I wouldn’t run it trunked (or LAG/Link Aggregation Groups). I would run separate links with RSTP because some switches do not quickly recover from LAG link failures. If configured correctly, RSTP usually converges in under 3 seconds on topology changes and sub-second on link failures.

2) I run 4 switches for management, overlapped on my Dante Primary (2 switches) and Secondary (2 switches) network. Properly configured RSTP for Management, no RSTP (isolated VLAN’s) for Dante. Any of 4 links can get cut and if a switch fails I can move the management connections to the other switch.

3) If you want to run 2 links to your laptop (switches optional), I know a Mac can do it but not sure about windows. You need 2 network interfaces, create a virtual interface for “Link Aggregation” and put both interfaces in it. If you are tied to switches, there is a situation where the link between a switch and MR fails, but the virtual interface won’t see it, so the connection will drop 1/2 the packets. (I haven’t tried this one but don’t see any issues with it).

For options 1 & 2, only connect 1 port from the MR in either of these situations – their internal switch (and network) does not understand STP/RSTP and it will create a loop. Likewise, if you have a surface, DO NOT connect both the surface and MR to the external network for the same reasons.

Jay

Profile photo of BILDIC
    BILDIC
    Participant

Thanks both of you.

I was looking for solution to make both network MR for working with safe connection.
    If one connection stopped working i would use the second one on MR.
    I know the solution that Tor was writing about trunking network. In this solution there is on one side one cable between PC and switch 1 and 2 and more cable between each switch and then one cable MR and switch 2 on second two.
    I will try your solution Jay with RSTP.

Profile photo of BILDIC
    BILDIC
    Participant

Hello Jay,

Your solution in point 2 with 4 switches i made a scheme and want to ask if i understand it correctly.

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.