Need help with a basic SQ-5 question

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Need help with a basic SQ-5 question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Paul R Paul R 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Paul R
    Paul R
    Participant

Hi, I’ve been asked to record an upcoming performance of the Messiah for archival purposes, and to provide an audio feed to the site’s SQ-5 for live-streaming. My Sound Devices 788 recorder provides L/R line out. There are two mic inputs I can use in the front of the venue. I’d like to use them (rather than running 150′ of cable to the back of the venue), but don’t know how to change the SQ-5 settings from mic to line input, and to turn off 48V phantom power.
    Thanks in advance for any guidance!
    Paul R

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    Are the 2 mic inputs at the front of the venue going to be the 2 inputs you use for your stereo pair for the recording? Otherwise, I’m not sure I understand why you mention them.

Are you ONLY using those mic inputs for a stereo pair, or do you have other mic signals coming on a snake to your recorder, which I assume is at the back of the house (or FOH in soundman terms) or in videoworld?

Will your recorder sit next to the SQ-5, or are you sending your Line Out signals onto a (Dante) network to the SQ situated in another room or backstage?

But IF the 2 mic inputs on stage are the only mics you’re using – both for the recording and the livestream feed – you could split them (preferably with a Jensen-based splitter) and you take one side of the split and send the other side of the split to the SQ.

Profile photo of Paul R
    Paul R
    Participant

Hi IraBob,
    I plan to use 6-8 of my own mics directly into the 788 in the front of the venue (near the stage). I will record L/R tracks and ISOs- this is what I’ve usually done. However, to feed the livestream, I’d like to take line level L/R OUT from the 788 and patch it into two wall mounted xlr boxes in the front of the venue that are marked “mic 1 ” and “mic 2” (I will not be using the venue’s mics). I expect that these boxes provide phantom power (which I don’t need or want), and that they likely pass through SQ-5 preamps (which I also don’t need or want). I’d like to know how to set these two inputs on the SQ-5 to line level with no phantom power. There’s a person to work the board but they are new and don’t really know all the details. My alternative is to run a pair of XLR cables 150′ from the front of the venue to the balcony, where the SQ-5 is. There are some available inputs on the back of the unit. I’d still need to know how to set the SQ-5 inputs to line level with no phantom power. I have a Dante AVIO 2-Channel Analog Input Adapter, but I don’t think the venue’s SQ-5 is set up for it. Thanks for your input.
    Best,
    Paul

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The only “line inputs” on the SQ are the two stereo inputs, they are on
    1/4 inch balanced jacks so you would need to use an adapter on the mic 1 & 2 XLR
    lines to convert them to 1/4 inch TRS.

I would not worry about using the XLR inputs, turn the input trim down, there is a pad if needed, and the phantom power control that is in the socket pre amp control menu.

If the board operator does not know how to control those functions your in for bigger problems.

Profile photo of Paul R
    Paul R
    Participant

That should do it- thanks very much!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.