Need help understanding 48 channels but only 16 faders…

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Need help understanding 48 channels but only 16 faders…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

The SQ5 has 16 faders, but 48 channels. We have the QU-32 with two AB168 dSnakes and the ME-U and a smattering of ME-1’s. The QU-32 has 32 faders.

We don’t use any of our local inputs. Everything comes from the dSnakes.

If we moved to the SQ5, at half the faders, would we lose anything more than just local input capacity?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

watch a video…

your QU-32 has 32 mic inputs, 3 stereo inputs and 4 FX returns
    What are you doing to access the extra channels?
    How familiary are you with the QU?

this should cover the first batch of questions

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

I don’t have a baseline to gauge how familiar I am with it, but I can make my way around it fairly well. Here’s the extent to which we use it…our output needs are mono.

6 mics on the drums.
    4 Wired Vocal Mics
    3 Wireless lapel mics
    2 Congregational Mics
    1 Bass
    1 Acoustic Guitar
    1 Input for Electric Guitar or Horn
    1 For MONO Keyboard
    1 For Backing Tracks
    1 For Click
    2 inputs USB streaming from the iMac

So…23 sources.

I think what I’m missing is the functionality of layers…are layers synonymous with “pages” whereby I could control inputs 17 through 36 using faders 1-16 ? Thus, the major difference being the convenience of having faders on a one to one basis with all of the inputs?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@arretex

layers are just a way to share faders amongst the channels in the Qu32
    and it seems like mixes are also layers although I did not see the manual state that but they seem to act that way
    our analog board had 48 channels and was more than twice as long as the qu is

qu32 has a layer for inputs (bottom yellow lights)
    implied layers for mixes
    another layer to access other features (top blue lights)
    and if you push both layer buttons you get a custom layer which might simplify operation by avoiding some layer switching

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

The SQ (5, 6, 7) all have 48 channels.

I can’t really see any loss at all moving from QU32 to SQ5, except the number of faders and local inputs.

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

That’s what I’m gathering. It’s not that difficult to work with layers rather than having a full spread of faders for each channel.

Thanks!

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You can choose what to put where on each of the 6 layers and you don’t have to use all 16 faders on each layer.

So you may decide to put your vocals & the returns for effects they use in layer 1, the drums with their effects in layer 2, and the rest of the instruments in layer 3. Still 3 layers left for groups, aux masters etc. Now the new firmware gives us DCA spill, I think I’ll probably end up with the vocals & other key channels + all of my DCAs in layer 6, once I start doing gigs again.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Like Mark said any fader on a SQ can be set to be any input channel, output mix, DCA, FX Send, ect. You can even have important channels assigned to the same position in each layer so they are always available.

On the QU32 you have one fully custom layer (the middle layer, push both layer buttons at the same time) that you can set the faders to be any thing you what them to be using the set up menu.

If you use the QU Pad app with in the app you can set three custom layers.

Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

So basically, the SQ5 will do everything our QU32 will do, only with a smaller footprint and a need to understand how to configure and manage layers.

…with the added Dante compatibility.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@arretx

pretty much.
    I view SQ as a bigger fancier Qu that does more.
    better smaller and cheaper than analog would be now.

Layers are just a way to share fewer faders among many things using them while making the device smaller.
    They are one of the ways digital has changed things.
    No more analog boards a dozen feet long so everything has its own fader all the time.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

So basically, the SQ5 will do everything our QU32 will do, only with a smaller footprint and a need to understand how to configure and manage layers.

…with the added Dante compatibility.

Yes it will and a lot more.

Dante requires an interface card to be installed in the card slot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.