Need firmware update?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Need firmware update?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

With so many of our usb 2&3 drives working everywhere else but the Qu 32
    AND
    so many of them failing on the Qu itself, while working fine on other devices,
    we need a firmware update
    , which allows us to format anywhere to Fat32 with ANY cluster size
    — assuming that they do not come with FAT 32 already , which almost all do —
    ANd
    the Qu drive merely stick its directory structure on the memory stick without being so fussy
    and actually start working without all the hassle that we now face.

volounteer
    Participant

PS since I cant edit above

We would much rather have fewer simultaneous channels that work reliably and easily
    than the maximum number that are so fussy as to what usb memory we use.

Update the firmware to test the drive and tell us how many simultaneous record channels could be supported.

BUT do not stop every usb memory from working to back up the Qu or play back a stereo channel because you are also trying to be able to record 32 simultaneous inputs.

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

I’ve been using Kingston Data traveler , pretty inexpensive for 16gb last time I purchased some around $7.00 each. I know that’s not a fix. I’ve been through a few different drives that didn’t work and found these and stuck with them .

volounteer
    Participant

@bear
    Price is good but the local stores do not have that one. How old is it?

The key point is that there is clearly a problem with the Qu design if so many USBs fail and they need a database at all.
    And it is so hard to easily find one that will work. I just bought a bunch on sale for my own use (primarily) but tried them on the Qu and again they all failed.

The two I have that did work were very old ones from Staples. USB2 and totally generic white box memory.
    Makes me wonder why newer name brands have so much trouble.

But Staples no longer has what works, and would be easy to get again — if it was still available.

Also, why doesn’t AH sell guaranteed to work USB drives to save us the hassle of tracking down one that would work??

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Like “Bear” I use the Kinston Data Traveler series in all shapes and sizes.
    That big on line ordering company has them and I just found them at my local Fed Ex
    office shipping store.

I also have some of the Sans Disc Extreme 3 USB sticks that work well.

I would be nice if the QU was not so picky about what USB stick it likes but the ones mentioned above work, use those, move on to the bigger issues in running live.

For what it’s worth there are some other mixers that are a little picky on their USB
    likes and dislikes. For that matter EVERY digital mixer has issues/quirks that someone
    does not like.

volounteer
    Participant

@mike C

Thanks. I tried SansDisk ultra but they failed. Seems odd that extreme works and ultra did not.
    Fedex in our little town is not a place I would buy anything from, assuming they even had USB drives there.

Care to speculate on why digital mixers have such problems with USB when pcs , stereos, and other devices do not?

I realize that mixers are large and complex with all the various options you can mix/match, but the usb problem seems to be an engineering problem perhaps caused by marketing trying to be able to offer too much.

But still, the USB that work best are our old usb2 generic whitebox type from Staples. It is hard to think the fault of the newer usb3 from big brand name companies would be the ones to fail.

And why doesn’t A&H sell guaranteed to work USBs if they are such a problem with their devices?

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

I know with USB thumb drives and pc’s getting updates seem like Win10 every week or two the thumbs drives always seem to work and if they don’t the thumb drive install it’s own driver or program to make them work , but digital mixers just don’t seem to have that ability. And your forced to go with what does work . That’s my best guess .

volounteer
    Participant

@bear

Can’t speak to win10 but win8 was a POS. And I do know that win10 has its own unique problems.
    Except for the stupid power saving default that killed all the usb without any warning win8 has worked fine for any and all usb memory sticks. Once I fixed that stupid bug I have had no more problems. Not to say it won’t bite me again. I still have to use reference books to do things that were SO easy in XP. No idea what those clowns were thinking with that new interface we had to learn.

Anything else I use my USB on just works. Either the PC knows it or can install the driver somehow. And that goes back to XP. My 98SE does need me to give it the new driver though. My stereo and CD player know how to use the usb without futzing about drivers. They just know. I have to think the problem runs much deeper with AH messing with the sector size and file directories.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.