Need effects on Aux's

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Need effects on Aux's

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jim
    Jim
    Participant

I have been trying to get effects onto my Aux’s for monitors. Musicians ask for some in there monitors all the time. I can’t find a way to do this without effecting the main mix effects. I’ve read the manual a number of times but can’t quite figure out how to have a separate level for the monitors.

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

Select the monitor bus, go to the layer with you FX returns on and raise whichever returns you need in the monitor mix. Don’t forget to go back to LR afterwards!

Just a note of caution… FX in monitors can increase the likelihood of feedback. Also, many musicians, especially vocalists, don’t perform as well when they are listening to a wet mix. Not a hard rule but things to keep in mind in case of any problems.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Think of an FX return just like any other input channel you can process it
    and route it just the same as mic input.
    Just be carefull not to route it back into itself with an Fx send.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The plethora of various player monitoring preferences have their own class grouping: “The more me generation” Floor wedges can provide a wonderful augment to the stage bloom of FOH stacks however any desire to elevate their role to the primary audio device is fools gold. For this reason A&H is the industry leader in personal monitoring options that can deliver to each picky performer the exact mix of the performance they desire.

We have reached a very interesting plateau in FOH/monitoring gear. An ensemble that provides their own dynamic range control by carefully listening to “the sum of their performance” as opposed to “elevating their individual contribution” will greatly benefit from a monitor mix that sonically resembles as close as possible the FOH mix. It will require a well thought out floor wedge mix: most all others should opt for the personal monitoring devices. Either option is not right, wrong or in any way extreme, it is delivering the requested specific needs/wants of performers in any given group of musicians.
    Hugh

Profile photo of BigLoudAl
    BigLoudAl
    Participant

I’m having an issue with this myself. I have a QU-24, Firmware version 1.95. I have my rehearsal/tracking room set up with my recording nearfields on the main LR buss, but with a separate rehearsal PA coming off the 7-8 stereo buss so I can have different EQ curves and levels for each system. Now, if I apply reverb (or any fx) to any of the mic channels or the stereo 1-3 inputs, I get fx on my main LR buss. HOWEVER, when I try to apply fx to mix 7-8 (or 9-10, or any of the other mix busses), I can hear the fx on the second tier stuff (ST 1-3) but NOT on the lower tier (1-24 inputs). When I select mix buss 7-8, I have all four fx returns up to 0 db and they are not muted. FX Sends are also at 0 db.

I have done a complete hard reset of the board (hold down reset and setup buttons as I power up the board) without success. Any idea what I’m missing?

Profile photo of BigLoudAl
    BigLoudAl
    Participant

ISSUE – SOLVED

Thanks to Jeff at American Music & Sound, this issue has been solved. If I want to hear FX on my other mix busses, I also have to have the faders feeding the LR buss turned up as well. The reason I was hearing FX coming from the ST1 channel was because I still had it turned up on the LR mix, where none of the mic channels had been turned up in the LR.

Thank you, Jeff. 😛

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Thanks to Jeff at American Music & Sound, this issue has been solved. If I want to hear FX on my other mix busses, I also have to have the faders feeding the LR buss turned up as well. The reason I was hearing FX coming from the ST1 channel was because I still had it turned up on the LR mix, where none of the mic channels had been turned up in the LR.

Yes FX sends are normally set post fade so they track with the main mix fader levels.
    To operate the FX sends independent of the main mix fader levels you would need to set
    the FX sends to be pre fade.

98% of time FX sends are post fade in your case it sounds like pre fade would do what you want.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.