NAMM 2017, Do GLD owners have anything to look forward to?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions NAMM 2017, Do GLD owners have anything to look forward to?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 46 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

OK Allen & Heath, I understand you cannot say what is coming out at NAMM 2017.

How about this, post a smiley face if my investment in the GLD will be enhanced.

Post a sad face if you are letting the GLD slowly go away…

John

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Good luck John. I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you. Disappointment abounds.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

After NAMM 2017 starts I will know if I am shedding my system. For my new mixing style I require side-chain compression. Plus I am going to be giving some instruction at churches around my home. SCP will be the centerpiece of my presentations. Even though the GLD is a better system I have to let it go if I cannot make money with it.

I also sit here with eight Aviom A-16II IEM mixers. I am selling them for my daughter’s church. I am also waiting until NAMM to see if I can make use of these. If I can get SCP I will make her church an offer on the Aviom lot. It would be a banging system. GLD80, Dante interface, 24 channel A to D, 8 channel A to D, five ME-1 IEM mixers, eight Aviom IEM mixers and road cases.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

What is SCP?

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

SCP = Side-Chain Compression. Sorry I was not so clear.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

That would be SCC. I might have figured that out. 😳

With all due respect please explain why lack of SCP(SSC)is such a game changer. Sure I use compression but I use what I have. I don’t see SCC being that big of a deal. I never worried about it in my old analog days when I had racks of compressors. I can’t think of a single major show for live or TV where I used SCC. I may have used it a little in studio. Probably in Pro Tools if I did.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I only ever used side chain comp in

a studio?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Live on a bass side chained to a kick drum…

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I understand side-chaining is a useful tool, but far from a central workflow requirement.

The following is a much larger signal chain overhaul, but I would like to see the following from A&H:

– 2 Dynamic stages, with one stage either pre/post PEQ
    – Each Dynamic stage can be one of the following options:
    • Compressor (with source Key / side chain)
    • Multiband compressor (i.e. Dynamic EQ) – similar to the Digico S21
    • Gate
    • Expander

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

George,

Doh. Even after you brought it to my attention I had a brain fade. SCC, you are right. I do not even know where or how the P snuck in. I feel so dumb…

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

I use side chain compression to tame FOH instead of multi-band compression on the main mix. I will side chain the Keys and 6-string guitars from my lead vocal. I let it reduce those instruments by 3 to 6 dB when the vocals get loud. It tames the peak level in my final mix. I almost never hit my output limiter anymore. And the vocals don’t hurt during a crescendo anymore when I want them front, center and clear as with the modern praise music I mix lately.

Another use for SCC (got it right this time George!) is to greatly reduce (10 to 20 dB) the reverb and echo during loud vocal passages. If the song calls for it I can make huge tails behind the vocals without all the mud of non-side chain compression. Doesn’t sound like someone is yelling in a cavernous space anymore but there is a good memory of the phrase just sung.

One song we do needs a quarter note call-and-answer echo capturing only two words at the end of a phrase. SCC does that for me.

Yet another, When the lead guitarist is playing some counter melody against the vocals I do not have to ride the guitar fader. SCC just fills the spaces for me effortlessly.

In quiet passages I like to have more reverb than when the band is playing at full steam. Light snare drum taps with a moderate reverb during a quiet vocal passage that comes out of nowhere. SCC to the rescue.

I realize this much programming won’t work if you are a festival sound guy with no history with the band or no lengthy rehearsal time. But I have a 2 hour Wednesday night rehearsal then a complete run through before first service Sunday. The band members don’t change radically from Sunday to Sunday either.

Last week during a full-house service the lead pastor, in the middle of the second song, walked from the front row to the rear where I was located, shook my hand and said the mix simply moved him and the rest of the congregation. Worth it? I think so.

Sadly my GLD mixer cannot do any of the above. That is why I beg for side-chain compression so much. The GLD is far superior in every other metric I can imagine. I miss using my GLD.

John

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

The new promotion on GLD starts now until march with a free AR2412, so I guess no new GLD for NAMM?

https://media.sweetwater.com/store/pdf/allen-heath-gld-20170331.pdf

Profile photo of Edi
    Edi
    Participant

As A&H introduces the new DLive C class at NAMM 2017 it really seems if GLD has reached EOL. ;-(

Profile photo of ian.hind
    ian.hind
    Participant

NAMM 2017, Do GLD owners have anything to look forward to?

Yes, the final nail in the GLD sadly.

dLive C Class.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Are you sure? Seems like an iLive-T successor to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.