NAMM 2017, Do GLD owners have anything to look forward to?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions NAMM 2017, Do GLD owners have anything to look forward to?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 46 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

A&H has been pretty quiet on this forum lately. Is there anything we should keep an eye to? Even if you cannot be specific please give a hint. Is the GLD ecosystem too geriatric for development? Any tidbit of info to give me the warm-fuzzies?

John

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

My uniformed guess is a new medium level mixer which will EOL the GLD. Just my guess. Or maybe a new QU version with scribble strips and added features. I like you feel GLD is the ugly stepchild. A shame too.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It has been about 18 months since the last Update to the GLD board (May 2105). I too wonder if there are any plans to provide any additional features/capabilities to the platform. It is a great platform, but compared to the competition is getting a little tired. I would love for them to give us a hint they are working on an update even if it is a few months away. Holding out hope..

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

I have 5 ME1, Dante interface, 32 channels of A to D and a really nice tactical ethernet snake. Even if there was no more software updates to my GLD80, knowing if a GLD generation 2 was coming and the rest of my ecosystem was still viable would be some relief.

Honestly, I am still smarting because of having bought my GLD80 early in its (pre-X32) product cycle, have seen the residual value drop due to two price reductions and then sales offered with the a/d converters. I realize these mixing boards are not pure investments but oh my wallet aches. I know… bitch, bitch..

John

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

People are still using their iLives 10 years later?
    If I get a particular big show I have tendered for next year I will probably buy a GLD112 as I already have lots of AR stage boxes.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

I’m hoping for a new GLD2 platform or maybe some kind of main processor board update for the existing units. I hope that A&H isn’t abandoning the mid-end market.

I also own a couple of Qu mixers, but they are limited compared to the GLDs. I use the 112 for rock festivals a lot, and the 80 for bluegrass festivals and other stuff. A dLive would be an option other than the physical size of the unit compared to the GLD. If I increase physical console size at this point, I have to upgrade to a larger box truck along with it or not carry as much backup gear. This adds great cost across the board. The physical size of the GLD consoles along with their feature sets makes them great for my use.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Its surface area I’m looking for. With out being a 2 man lift.
    The QU32 just does it “nearly for me” with fader count for custom layer set up.
    With the addition of the IP6 & IP7 the GLD may do the trick.
    That’s interesting? I can only find the IP6 on their website?
    Weird? It was there 2 days ago?
    The AR boxes sound good enough for live work and have plenty of them.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ahh correction That should have said IP8 NOT 7
    I found the URL https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/ip8/
    Im not sure where I read A & H were going to be able to use these with the QU series?
    Now if they could be used with the GLD?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

No such thing as a mature product anymore, only developing or obsolete?

John, look at what the dLive ecosystem offers for clues. Your ME stuff is still current, your ethernet snake is still current, your Dante card can be
    letterboxed, dSNAKE has been superceded by DX, which in my opinion is fair overall. Early adopters will always pay more, but will tend to get more mileage from their system before the feature releases dry up..

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

hope for a new gld this NAMM too! My wish list is:

1. More local inputs so I can plug in all my 8 channel of wireless.
    2. A way to record multi-track without buying a $1000 dante card.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

So you know how A&H’s sister company, Digico, came out last year with the Core 2 upgrade for all of their SD boards which essentially doubled their capacity via a software and firmware update? Well, perhaps we could see the same could thing happen to the GLD boards? Just sayin…

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Oh, I can only wish. If it had side chain compression I would be first in line to order. Everything else is fine with my GLD.

John

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

So you know how A&H’s sister company, Digico, came out last year with the Core 2 upgrade for all of their SD boards which essentially doubled their capacity via a software and firmware update? Well, perhaps we could see the same could thing happen to the GLD boards? Just sayin…

As far as I remember the update was hardware on some consoles…
    GLD does not use FPGA, so the limtation of the system are in the hardware.

I hope for compact sized Surfaces and Stageboxes in the dLive range or an updated GLD

Wishes?
    Modularity with Stagerack, Expanders and Surface just like the dLive
    AB168 reuse on the new system

need to replace my R72 and iDR16 in 2017… 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My vote is on @mervaka Although…

No such thing as a mature product anymore, only developing or obsolete?

“I Think”
    Technically dLive is the top hardware or the flag ship standard NOW.
    I doubt if we will see any new GLD version2
    We will see a GLD maintenance upgrade.
    QU is still developing and we might see another maintenance or maybe a major firmware update.
    The dLive appear to be selling really well.
    So in the past A & H have developed products on the build and added.
    Now they have made a flag ship with all of the bells and whistles I suspect they will develop variables [without bells and whistles] of that flagship model.

I still might a GLD 112 though
    But how do you get around the 16 bit USB recording sound card built in? Equiv of the QU USB?

Profile photo of JTLSound
    JTLSound
    Participant

I don’t know if it’s even worth mentioning, but all the “Chrome Edition” GLD’s are actually labeled “GLD2-80” or “GLD2-112” on their model number. The Chrome Edition maybe the only version2 we ever see.

I’m still hoping for another Firmware Upgrade. I got mine a few years ago, and when I hit a bug and reported it, Support told me they knew about it. But still no move to fix said bug…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.