Muting FX

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Muting FX

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GR-PDX GR-PDX 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

If one were to want to mute the effects between songs (ideally with a footswitch…hint hint), one could assign one of the soft keys to the task. But I’m wondering if there are advantages or disadvantages to doing this in either of two ways: using the effects sends or the effects returns? Or the effects master?

In other words, are there effective (pardon the pun) differences in the way those would act?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Imagine you have a really long reverb. If you mut the effects return you may cut off the tail of the reverb, whereas if you mute the send the tail can continue and die naturally.

If we get given DCAs then I’ll be using one of these for my effects returns so that I fade them rather than killing them dead.
    Otherwise, I prefer to mute the send, as I think it usually sounds better.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Apologies for iPad fingers!

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Mark, that is exactly what I do too 🙂

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Did a live outdoor riverfront show last night. First big show I have done with the QU. I did not realize you could not assign a mute directly to send level like on GLD. So I just created a mute group to mute the send. Same thing just different way. I muted reverb and delay channels. Worked fine.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Thank you much for the input. That makes sense about wanting to retain the tails on reverbs and delays. I just didn’t know if there were other reasons such as monitors or something.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.