Mute issues

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mute issues

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JLD JLD 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rawdealad
    Rawdealad
    Participant

Hi,

I am an amateur sound guy operating the QU16 for my band and at some rock gigs.

Previously, on older and cheaper analogue desks I had been able to mute a channel which resulted in no sound from FOH but as it was pre-fader, and the aux send was turned up, it was still audible in the monitors.

Is there a way to achieve this on the QU? I like to run slick change-overs and this would really help me.

I can PFL and ear it myself but often it’ll set the musicians at rest if they’ve heard it for themselves.

Many thanks,

Ad

Profile photo of Jline
    Jline
    Participant

You could simply use the Mute button on the master fader to simply kill the sound to FOH only. Of course, the monitors will be live so watch out for folks unplugging instruments, etc.

Rawdealad
    Participant

Thank you for your reply, Jline. This is not an option though as I’d want to be playing music between bands.

My plan to overcome the popping and over zealous lea pluger-inners was to unassigned the channels whilst changing/plugging in and then reassign, channel by channel, as I checked each instrument in. The audience hear the cd and the rest of us can hear what we need to.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

An easy way would be to assign all but your cd to a mute group which you could enable/disable as you plug/unplug your channels from your iPad on stage? I don’t have my desk to hand to see if hitting the mute button on a channel selected in a mute group defeats the mute. That would be easier again but I can’t recall if it works that way….!

Rawdealad
    Participant

Robbocurry, thank you for your suggestion.

I currently have all mics in a mute group and actually do what you suggest. It works well. Problem is that once the physical plugging has been done I want to line check equipment without it coming over the FOH but I want it to hit the performer in the Monitors. At present the Mute overrides all mix outs.

I’m thinking though, the best thing might be to unassign mics/DIs/laptop inputs from main mix and then un-muting channels will result in sound in monitors but not FOH.

Working through this slowly. Cheers for ideas.

Rawdealad
    Participant

Robbocurry, thank you for your suggestion.

I currently have all mics in a mute group and actually do what you suggest. It works well. Problem is that once the physical plugging has been done I want to line check equipment without it coming over the FOH but I want it to hit the performer in the Monitors. At present the Mute overrides all mix outs.

I’m thinking though, the best thing might be to unassign mics/DIs/laptop inputs from main mix and then un-muting channels will result in sound in monitors but not FOH.

Working through this slowly. Cheers for ideas.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

You can remove the channel-assign to the MAIN LR on the channels that you want to line check! Just hold down the ASSIGN button and press the select button of the specific input-channel to remove it from LR but still to pass audio trough the monitors! Maybe you could set up a scene where everything is “safe” except the assignment! (i think it’s not possible at the moment…) Another suggestion is to move all Input-Fader on the MAIN-Mix to infinity! (Maybe you could safe that in a scene?)

Profile photo of Jline
    Jline
    Participant

This seems like the easiest way to accomplish your goal, and it is quick to un-assign/assign channels as needed by holding the Assign button and selecting the necessary channels.

Profile photo of JLD
    JLD
    Participant

Make three different sceens.
    One normal
    One with all channels muted and unassigned from the LR
    One unmuted an unassigned.

And filter out all other parameters to be safe.
    If you have softkeys available it can be done with one button for each sceen.

(hope it orks for Qu, it workks on the GLD)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.