Mute functionality on multi surface rig

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Mute functionality on multi surface rig

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jimmy Jimmy 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jimmy
    Jimmy
    Participant

I have been doing shows with two CDM mixracks linked via gigaace, each with a C3500 connected to it. One for Monitors (primary with gain control) and the other for FOH. When I mute a channel on the monitor mixrack, it also mutes it to the FOH mixrack. Is there a feature to make sure that the split is always open even if monitors mutes it on their end? This is for shows exceeding 64 tracks. I’ve scrolled through every menu many times and also scrubbed the manual for mute functionality and I’m coming up blank.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Jimmy,

If you’re running two CDM MixRacks, all channels should behave independently and mutes on one system will NOT affect the other system.
    Is it possible that your control network bridge is On on both gigaACE cards and that both Surfaces connected to the same MixRack unintentionally? (It doesn’t matter if the Cat5 cables go direct to each CDM, at a network level each Surface will see both CDMs in this configuration.)
    Try switching the bridge Off on both cards as a starter. You could also double check the target MixRack for each in the Surface network settings.

Profile photo of msteel
    msteel
    Participant

Assuming you checked what Nicola said and each surface is connecting to the correct mix rack, then you need to look at how the digital split is happening (at least, it sounds like you might be doing a digital split). If the monitor mix rack is sending channels to the GigaACE using channel direct outs, then check the global direct out pickoff point. I think the default setting for that is pre-fade so mutes on the monitor channels would interrupt audio to FOH in that case.

If this is what is happening, consider whether it would be better to do the split using tie lines instead of direct outputs.

Profile photo of Jimmy
    Jimmy
    Participant

Thanks much. I will check this weekend when I am on the cdm again. It is quite possible I left them in BRIDGE mode.

Profile photo of Martijn
    Martijn
    Participant

How did you create the digital split?
    If you done this thru Direct outs and the Direct out follows mute than the split would behave like this.
    Best practice is to use Tie Lines.

If you use Tie lines and the split is done over gigaACE you can also do gainSharing over the 2 systems.

Profile photo of Jimmy
    Jimmy
    Participant

Sure enough, my tap was post delay. Greatly appreciate the assistance.

Profile photo of Jimmy
    Jimmy
    Participant

I didn’t have access to the gigaace card (was rental) but I did see that my tap points were post-delay on my ip-direct outs. I’m going to look into this tie-line option instead of ip direct out. I greatly appeciate the assistance.

Profile photo of Jimmy
    Jimmy
    Participant

I never tried using tie lines, but it does look like the better way to do a digital split. I’ll go that route next time I’m doing a split. We use dante frequently to make signals available to other networked equipment in a production van or other non Allen-Heath consoles. I’ve always used ip-direct out. I’ll see if it works on the tie line as well. I’m curious. Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.