Mute FOH without muting monitors?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mute FOH without muting monitors?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

How about using DCA’s and reducing the volume on the specific DCA that you want silent?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

The DCA trick is fine if you don’t push FX through the monitors

Profile photo of tabruder
    tabruder
    Participant

Thanks all. We need to send pastor’s mic to monitors. Acoustic or keys/piano often noodle or hold a pad under the spoken vocal for ambience and need to be able to hear phrasing and cues. The band typically tries to remember to quickly dial down the headset mic before a song starts. My perfect world would be to have the monitor send follow the FOH mute switch, but not be a global setting to all channels.

I like the idea of just making the monitor send post fader. Trying to look on the Editor software for how that would be accomplished? (again, exclusively this one channel). Thanks in advance.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Does mute not mute all outputs?

I’ve got turned around by this thread…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Bob, I’m getting confused too, but I think it’s the direct outs going to the ME units that do not get muted. The pe/post mute option for these is universal but Tabruder want this channel to behave differently to the rest.

Tabruder – Do you have a spare mix output? If so, can you patch this (with a cable, in the analogue world) to a spare input, which the ME users can then get the pastor’s mic from?

I don’t have an ME so can’t try it, but it looks as if that would do what you want.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Don’t have a ME, but can’t you choose Mixes directly on the ME? At least Groups and Mixes are assignable through the Monitor Output Patch.

MarkPAman
    Participant

I expected it to be able to use the mixes (and any other output that’s being sent via D-Snake), but if it can, I can’t find, anywhere in the manual that tells you how……

Feature request! πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Well, it’s on page 66, chapter “10.15 I/O Patch Setup – Monitor” in The Manual. πŸ˜‰

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Just realised why I’m confused:

Searching for answers to my question, I came across this thread

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Yup, topic changed slightly during thread re-use… πŸ˜‰

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant
    Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

difficult to help with that little information… πŸ˜‰

MarkPAman
    Participant

Well, it’s on page 66, chapter β€œ10.15 I/O Patch Setup – Monitor” in The Manual. πŸ˜‰

Ha. Now I remember reading that. However, for some reason, I was looking at the ME manual.

So as long as there’s a mix free, that’s sorted it!

Profile photo of tabruder
    tabruder
    Participant

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Being new and poorly orientated here, I just realized I’m in the QU forum. Didn’t catch where I was routed to in my initial search. I’ll check if anyone has asked about this specifically over in the GLD forum where I belong, or pose the question there. Still useful ideas for getting tricky with an extra DCA, so you helped me, but I apologize to those I sidetracked…

Tom

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

we just put the LR on a soft key so it can be muted without muting mixes. just like Mixes are on a soft key as a Mutegroup and all vocals are on one and all instruments are on one.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.