Mute FOH without muting monitors?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mute FOH without muting monitors?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Hi there
    Is it possible to mute front of house without muting the monitoring?

Cheers

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Mute button on the LR fader? Or do you mean muting individual channels’ sends to LR but not mute your pre-fade monitor sends?

coffee_king
    Participant

Mute button on the LR fader? Or do you mean muting individual channels’ sends to LR but not mute your pre-fade monitor sends?

Both.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Obviously muting the LR bus will mute your FOH but keep monitors going. Muting individual sends to LR is possible but more difficult.

One way is to just assign/un-assign channels from LR (choose LR on the RHS of the console, press and hold the assign button on the LHS of the console, press the SEL buttons on individual channels so they dim to un-assign them.) If you’re going to be un-assigning/re-assigning the same group of channels all the time, you could set up a couple of scenes and have their recall on the softkeys to automate this process.

Another option would be to use your mixes as subgroups and come back in on spare channels. Then you could just mute these mix masters or spare input channels. The above two options only work well if you’re quick about assigning/un-assigning, and if you’re doing the same group of channels all the time.

A final option would be to run your mains off the pafl bus. Set up your pafl bus as follows (p50 of the manual.) Additive: on, Sel follows pafl: off, pafl follows mix: off, LR to pafl: off, input AFL: on. Run your mains off the pafl sockets. PAFL every channel you want in the mains. When you don’t want a channel in the mains, un-pafl it. This way you essentially get dedicated buttons for every fader to assign that channel to mains. The downside to this that you can’t use the pafl bus for its traditional purpose (though you could use spare mixes or even LR as a substitute for the traditional PAFL via the assign/unassign method.)

Profile photo of BLKGHOST
    BLKGHOST
    Participant

Setup screen, Audio tab and set Output AFL to OFF. Now you can use PAFL to monitor the LR Mix and the mute key will only affect your Mains.

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

Just wondering why you need to mute the mains when you could just pull the main fader down. As a practical matter, the newer DBX DriveRacks have mute buttons.

coffee_king
    Participant

Surely the whole point of a MUTE FOH is NOT to mess with the main FOH fader?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You can also put it in a Mute Group – I sometimes put all my outputs on one button.

CK – Has your question been answered now or are you still looking for a way to do something?

mamerica
    Participant

CK, It was a legitimate question. Faders go up and faders go down. It’s not rocket surgery.

I see from your history that you have asked quite a few questions on this forum. Try not to be such a dick and maybe the people who actually know what they are doing will continue to answer.

Have a nice day.

coffee_king
    Participant

NAMERICA – I’m not trying to be a dick. Once I’ve got a mix I’m happy with I never touch the main FOH faders as I’m playing my instrument & singing & still trying to sort out any possible issues. I do not have a separate sound engineer. I’d tell anyone who asked not to touch the master fader though if they were in my sort of position.
    Apologies if I came of sounding like a dick though, it was not my intention.

There seems to be numerous solutions here now so I hope to trial them over the next few days.
    Thanks for your input everyone.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I see from your history that you have asked quite a few questions on this forum.

And there was me thinking that’s what it’s here for……

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

@markpaman Agreed – although I’m still unclear what problem the OP is trying to solve.

It’s clear that they are running in the typical, but less than ideal, position of trying to mix FOH whilst they play and sing at the same time…

What I’m not clear about is what they are trying to achieve, muting FOH is pretty drastic in most cases.
    If the OP wants to be able to talk over in ears without being heard by the audience then a whisper mic might be an idea – just a second mic (even a cheap lapel mic) with a mute switch – allows you to talk away from the main mic and route it just to the in ears of your band members.

Otherwise I would say that routing to FOH via a group would give an easy mute position without muting individual channels, but I guess you’re on a QU16

You might be able to do something similar if you have spare output mixes, just feed from a mix back into another channel (or a ST) and then you can mute that whilst having the original channel still sent to mixes.

Or – and I don’t know if this is possible – routing your vox to an FX unit in the same manner, but with virtually no FX applied (I don’t know if a zero ms delay can be dialled in, or how hidden the reverb can be) This is where I’d like to see a “blank” FX unit – I can’t imagine that copying the input directly to the output would be significant amount of DSP compared with generating some of the FX available 😉

With a better idea of the issue being faced maybe better solutions can be suggested.

Profile photo of tabruder
    tabruder
    Participant

Searching for answers to my question, I came across this thread. I’m wanting to have individual channels either be muted in ME monitors when muted on the surface, or not. I’ve found the “follow mute” option under Processing>>>Routing. My problem arises in that when I select this for an individual channel, it seems to do the same for every other channel.

My goal is to have a cordless mic muted in monitors when muted on FOH (pastor’s headset), but not have other instruments (guitars, bass) ever be cut from the monitor mix by the FOH engineer. This will allow the headset mic belt pack to be left “on”, to be muted when necessary by FOH, and eliminating the need for the wireless mics to be switched on/off several times during a service. More than once, the pastor’s (off key) singing has rung out in the band’s ears, despite being muted in FOH. However, every time I select “follow mute” it causes issues I didn’t ask for in all other channels.

Hopefully I’ve explained that clearly enough. Hopefully it’s close enough to the original question to be in this thread.

mamerica
    Participant

Have you considered setting the pastor’s mic to post fader?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Or just not pushing the pastors mic to in ears?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.