Mute DCAs to FOH … Keep Mix Out Active ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Mute DCAs to FOH … Keep Mix Out Active ?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of conrad conrad 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Well … I’ve missed something here.

Vocals assigned to a DCA.

If I mute the DCA for front-of-house, the Mix out (to the IEMs) is also muted.

Any way to separate the two ?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Just drop the DCA to -infinity. Don’t mute it.

Profile photo of Milow
    Milow
    Participant

You can also assign your vocals via a second (post-fade) mix/group to the main mix and mute this group instead of the single channels. So the monitor-mix is not affected.
    Using direct-outs you have the desired options. But you have to patch all direct-outs to your monitor-mix out, is that possible?

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Either is a work-around … although not ideal.

I was just not ready for this since my X & Ms do not mute the bus (Mix) out when the DCA is muted.

Maybe this needs a select button in the configuration ?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I was just not ready for this since my X & Ms do not mute the bus (Mix) out when the DCA is muted.

Actually, that’s an option on the X & M’s.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Why .. indeed it is !

Options are good. ☺

That’s one of the reasons the SQ is staying in the van and the X/M is at the gig.

The other is … no SQ-You app. That should have been ready on day one.

Sorry … very disappointed.

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

That is a bug, DCA should not mute prefade aux outputs.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Of course, so stage patch between gigs pops monitors full blast. I use only consoles, that mute everything by muting DCA. Do you remember any analog desk, that did not mute some sends?

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

i would recommend an optional feature selection to satisfy colleagues.

but I use it myself just as it does the desk:
    If I mute DCA, I want the channels to be completely silent.
    if I don’t want to have a signal on the PA for once, I just drag the DCA group to zero. for me this is completely logical.

lightingman117
    Participant

You’re right, my bad, I was thinking the direct out & ME personal mixers global settings for the mute behavior. DCA/Mute should NOT affect that. But it would affect the aux/grp busses/sends.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi all,

On any A&H mixer, the mute will mute the channel/s associated with it. This is the case for individual mutes or Mute/DCA groups.
    If you ‘mute’ a channel, by definition, no sound should come from it. The only exception to this rule is where the signal is not part of the mix (direct outs) and this is why you have the option to ‘follow’ mutes instead.

The thinking is that, although the outcome is basically the same, muting a channel is actually different from pulling a fader down to -inf (Pre and Post fade refer only to the fader position).
    DCA’s affect level rather than mutes, so the function of the ‘Mute’ key on a DCA channel strip is not defined, and there is certainly no consensus as to what exactly it should do.

If you need to remove channels from a mix on the SQ, you can easily un-assign and re-assign by holding the ‘Assign’ key and using the ‘Sel’ keys, therefore most engineers find it useful to have these ‘DCA Mutes’ work as extra mute groups.

However – I can see how it would be useful to have an option here, so will note as a feature request the ability to choose whether DCA mutes follow pre/post fader settings as it seems this would cover it.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Many thanks for your thoughtful response, Keith.

I appreciate your considering the option for a future update.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Has any further consideration been given to the ability to choose whether DCA mutes follow pre/post fader settings ?

Again, it would be most convenient to be able to quickly mute the DCAs for front-of-house whilst keeping the Mix outs active for monitors.

Thanks

lightingman117
    Participant

Agreed, while there might not be any consensus on what DCA mutes do. I think it’s more useful to have DCA mutes not affect any pre-fade sends. There’s currently no easy option to turn the channel on/off and mute/unmute.
    (mute/unmute = mains/post-fade sends)
    (on/off = entire channel turned on/off right after gain)

With IEMs so abundant, keeping the signals in their ears makes complete sense.
    Heck, it would be cool to have a per-aux setting. Just like direct outs can follow fader mute.

Profile photo of conrad
    conrad
    Participant

+1 for DCA mutes not affecting pre-fade sends.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.