Multitrack recording skipping

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Multitrack recording skipping

This topic contains 119 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Thunzie
    Thunzie
    Participant

Thanks Stefan, looking forward to your results.

Profile photo of Davec
    Davec
    Participant

Yes, I did a good long long and loud session on Saturday night with my Sandisk extreme 32g – no problems.

Profile photo of Eddy_current
    Eddy_current
    Participant

Just to let you guys know, I Recorded a three band fundraiser on Friday night using the QU-16 and a Sandisk Ultra 64GB usb 3.0 memory stick, no problems, flawless multitrack recording.

Cheers

Dave

Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

Just to let you know, I used my brand-new Sandisk 64 Gb Extreme in combination with a USB cable of around 1/3 meter, so the stick could be stored under the mixing table, to record a friend band on a wedding. I used the mixing table to reformat the stick and started the recordings when the band started. When I stopped around 4 hours later it the “busy” message on the screen didn’t disappear, not even after half an hour. I switch of the board because we had to leave. The recording is on the disk but the last hour is a chain of hiccups and small missing parts of the music. It is actually worser then ever before. I’m really sorry that the Sandisk 64 Gb extreme USB 3.0 doesn’t seem to be the solution. The problems seem to appear after a couple of hours. Should it help to end the recording at the end of the set and start a new recording when the new set starts instead of having a recording of 4 hours. Any suggestions are very welcome. I really in need of having this feature up and running in a trustful way.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Turning the desk off before the disk has finished “doing its thing” is never going to be good. But, half an hour should be more than long enough.

But…

<Warning – There are going to be people out there who know much more about this than I do. I could have worked this out all wrong and be spouting complete rubbish here!>

IIRC Fat32 has a maximum file size of 4Gb and I think your 4 hour recording will be getting very close to that limit (per track). This could well have caused the problem.

I’d certainly stop the recording during breaks between sets if at all possible.

Then again, I’m old enough to remember when we had to change tapes after every 12 minutes or so!

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

@lesouvage

I think what is happening here is QU-16 is trying load the recording session back for playback right after you stop recording. That could take a long time because it’s very long. I would recommend to record in small session or leave a small multi-track session on it before recording the longer one. So it won’t try to load it back.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Hawk – the QU does not “load recording sessions back” – it has no internal memory available to do this.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Has anyone tried one of the new 128 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro USB sticks?

Cheers!
    Dave

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

We have made further improvements in Qu-Drive in V1.5, and updated the KB article and User Guide to reflect recent tests done on USB keys and SSD drives.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

The v1.5 added features are great! – Thanks for the update Nicola and A&H:)

Profile photo of Doc Wascher
    Doc Wascher
    Participant

@nicola, I just purchased the new QU-32 for use in my home studio (amazing board!). This mixer is a major step up from the much simpler analog boards that I’ve used before, and so I am still on the early and steep end of the learning curve with the Qu-32. (For example, I still have not figured out how to insert FX into the stereo output signal from my multitrack recorder, which I am inputting into the QU-32 through ST1, so that I can add Fx to the signal that I am, then, sending to the Qu-Drive. For that matter, I still do not have a very good grasp of “mixes” and DCA Groups, but hope to educate myself better over time….)

I am currently using a 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (R/W up to 120/50 MB/s) for the Qu-Drive, which I formatted on the Qu-32. I’m just starting to get into using the Qu-Drive, and today I attempted to route a song from my multitrack recorder through the QU-32, and into the Qu-Drive. This recording appeared to be successful, but when I tried to play it back through the Qu-Drive, the track skipped (once) a couple of minutes into the song. So, I re-recorded the same stereo track, from the multitrack recorder, onto the Qu-Drive once again, and upon playing this second file back, the song skipped again, and at precisely the same point as it did on the first file that I recorded onto the Qu-Drive!

Interestingly, when I play the song/file back on my PC, it appears that the actual file is complete, and I did not hear any skipping.

Based upon the above description, is this skipping related to firmware issues, or to playback buffer limitations? Is there a fix for this glitch?

Thank you/ Rob

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Rob,

If the files play correctly on your PC it means the glitch is occurring whilst playing back. Can you confirm you are running firmware V1.5 and are you able to test a different drive?

Profile photo of Doc Wascher
    Doc Wascher
    Participant

Hi, Nicola,

I do have V1.5.

I tried a new 64GB USB drive tonight, and it worked perfectly!. (Perhaps the USB 3.0 format that the previous drive is compatible with is, somehow, not compatible with the Qu-32?)

On another topic, can you recommend any Qu-32 educational resources for novices like me who have experience only with much less complex analog boards? (I am still mystified regarding DCA and group processes/uses, and for the life of me, I can’t at all figure out how to patch in FX into my channels/mixes. For that matter, I’m not sure that I even understand how to create and manage mixes. In my defense, I am a cancer surgeon and professor of surgery, and not an audio engineer….)

Thanks again for the excellent customer support.

Sincerely/ Rob

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Some of us use the SanDisk Extreme USB3 range.
    These work well, are bus powered and it’s quick to get the tracks off onto a PC (with a USB3 port). The 64GB one is ~£40 and will hold ~6 hours of multitrack (18 channel)

I’d suggest the manual as a place to start – I know everything is “meant to be intuitive” nowadays, but things that are worth using are rarely purely intuitive (For instance FX are on page 44).

Profile photo of Cameronjenner
    Cameronjenner
    Participant

Hi all ,I have read through this whole thread to try and solve my track skipping problem from a 18ch recording I made last weekend (qu-16). I’m running firmware 1.8 with a new 2tb seagate drive that I formatted at the start of the show. From the first song it jumped like a scratched cd and their isn’t a single song that is usable from show .The drive was next to a digital drum kit so there was no vibration at all. The waveforms are fine -10db max no clipped signals. We only had a pair of 12″ monitors and a small PA . Has anyone found a solution to this yet or do I need to use a dedicated multitrack recorder ? Luckily it was a test,and now I know to run a backup for my important gigs but still it would be nice to have it working properly . Any suggestions would be appreciated 👍

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.