Multitrack recording skipping

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Multitrack recording skipping

This topic contains 119 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

This is an update on using the SanDisk 64GB Extreme USB-3 drive for QU-Drive multi-track recording. I’ve had no issues after several recording sessions of 2-3 hours. The results have been perfect. If only the playing were. LOL!

P.S. I format the drive before every use as suggested by A&H.

Profile photo of groverk
    groverk
    Participant

Good to know

I just bought the drive last week.

I have 2 shows next week I’m going to try it on

I’ll let you know how I made out

Ken

Profile photo of Davec
    Davec
    Participant

Progress! Looks like the vibration is the key. The session where I had skipping on I had the hard drive on a barrel on the wooden stage. Last night I recorded a four hour session that was VERY loud. I had the hd on a towel under the mixer on a bench on a concrete floor. No skipping.
    That was a Seagate drive.
    I also did two 40 minutes sessions to a Sandisk 32g extreme, no problems.
    Yay!

Profile photo of Thunzie
    Thunzie
    Participant

Davec, fantastic feedback mate, cheers! I guess that pretty much confirms the vibration theory. I’ve had a few gigs recently but our sound guy won’t have his Qu16 at any of our gigs until June. But I’m looking forward to it, and will post my results too of course. But from the recent results of yourself and others with either the HD protected from vibration, or using the Sandisk extreme I’m guessing my results will be unskippy too 🙂

PS: A&H – send us each a t-shirt or something for getting to the bottom of this issue for you 😉

Profile photo of Davec
    Davec
    Participant

I’ll have a large! 🙂
    The worst part was transferring it to my PC via USB 2. 2 hours!

Might be time for a USB 3 drive.

Profile photo of Davec
    Davec
    Participant

Damn, not so soon. I just noticed skipping at the end of the four-hour recording. That side of stage had two extra guitarists added to it around about then. Maybe, as folk here have suggested, it’s spl as well.

Profile photo of Thunzie
    Thunzie
    Participant

Was the skipping on your hard drive or SanDisk stick?

Profile photo of Davec
    Davec
    Participant

On the hard drive.

Profile photo of Thunzie
    Thunzie
    Participant

The good news is nobody who’s used the Sandisk Extreme has reported skipping yet. Looks like that’s the most reliable way.

Profile photo of JonasAnd
    JonasAnd
    Participant

I just bought the qu16 and recorded on a sandisk extreme 64 gb usb stick. 12 tracks for 1 h 15 minutes. No skipping so I’m happy!

I have a question though I’ve read that it’s not recommended to stop recording and then start again without formatting. Is this only when using the “pause” button or is it even whenusing the “stop” button, thus creating a new multitrack folder and recording new files.

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

I recorded 30 takes of stereo recordings without reformatting, using the stop button. The issue might be more complicated with 18 tracks per recording. I think I read somewhere that the concern was file fragmenting.

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

I usually press the STOP button 2 to 3 times per session doing 18 track recordings to the Sandisk Extreme and I haven’t had any issues.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Can you really pause the recording after it started? The play/pause button looks disabled for me.

Sounds like SanDisk USB 3.0 is the way to go. Ordered! How long is the 64G version able to record?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

You cannot pause a recording, but you can stop it and then hit start to record again. All files will be in different folders.

🙂

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Don’t you have to arm again in that case?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.