Multitrack recording skipping

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Multitrack recording skipping

This topic contains 119 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Thunzie
    Thunzie
    Participant

Hi all, hoping you can help. We recorded multitrack via the Qu-drive for the first time last Saturday night using a Seagate 500GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive 2.5″ HDD Backup Plus (which is one of the hard drives that’s on the approved list) and the tracks went to the HDD but on playback there is a LOT of skipping, the best I can describe it would be to say it sounds like a very cracked vinyl record. I’ve been through the forums here and saw that others have experienced similar problems, and that some guys reported that updating the firmware to 1.2 fixed it for them. We’re running 1.3, and experiencing this problem.

Interesting to note; I observed that the ‘skipping’ only occurs while the band are playing. Between songs, when it’s only the singer talking to the crowd there is no skipping at all.

I had printed the recommendations from this link and took it to the show and we followed the instructions. But we still had this problem.

Can anyone here help us solve this issue?

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Some say that with Firmware V1.4 this problem is solved… i think it is a problem of the HDD-Firmware! Check for updates on you HDD Firmware and update this, as well update the Qu to the newest Firmware V1.4!
    Best is as well after all firmware updating to format the HDD again with the Qu-16!

Profile photo of Thunzie
    Thunzie
    Participant

Thanks for your advice Eotsskleet. Yes, we plan to upgrade firmware in the Qu-16 and the HDD before the next time we try.

Profile photo of prodigio
    prodigio
    Participant

Your skipping problems are caused by old firmware. I had the same problem with 1.3 version.
    The new version 1.4 solve the problem

Profile photo of Davec
    Davec
    Participant

I’ve successfully recorded a few shows now, one was three hours long. The only time I’ve had skipping was when I hurriedly formatted the drive then quickly hit record. Fortunately I decided to stop and check it after a few minutes and found it had skipping. I tried again and it was fine. It got me wondering if I’d hit record too soon. Perhaps it was still contemplating the format.

Profile photo of Thunzie
    Thunzie
    Participant

Thanks Prodigio, I saw in another thread that you were having LOTS of problems with this issue. Did the firmware upgrade to 1.4 alone solve your problem or are there other things also?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

do not place your hard drive on or near the stage floor or subwoofers.
    Tapping feet on the stage and thumping kick and bass will surely cause the drive to skip too.

just a “beware” 🙂

Profile photo of Thunzie
    Thunzie
    Participant

dpdan that did cross my mind as to a possible reason for the skipping only occuring while the band was actually playing and NOT while the singer was talking between songs. I really wish one of the Allen & Heath guys would chime in here because I’d like to know if the issue (which evidently has been widely experienced by many users) was specifically addressed in the latest version of the firmware.

prodigio
    Participant

Thunzie, I solve the skipping and cuts problems by installing 1.4 firmware 🙂

prodigio
    Participant

An incredible news with my firmware version 1.4 O.O
    Today I tried to record with one of my hard drives certificates (Western Digital My Passport) but I have the problem again with cuts and skipping … oh my god! 🙁
    While with one of the generic non-certified hard drives (Seagate 7200 RPM) I had no problems…
    Next week I’ll try the other my certified hard disks…

Profile photo of Thunzie
    Thunzie
    Participant

Prodigio, I’m interested if it’s more likely vibration causing the problem, would your hard drive have been receiving any vibration during the recording? It would be fair to assume vibration from loud music would affect data being written to a hard drive. And like I said previously, skipping only occurred on my recording while the band was actually playing and NOT while the singer was talking between songs. Which to me suggests that vibration could be a cause. I’d love to hear from anyone who’s had more experience with this.

prodigio
    Participant

I play back my recording now…
    Yes, it seems that there are no jumps when the band is not playing …
    I must say that when I use the Wester Digital Hard disks (which has a very short usb cable) I have to keep the hard drive a bit ‘hovering in the rack …
    while the last time, when I used the Seagate 7200 with a longer cable, I managed to keep it in the rack rests on the entire surface … what do you think?
    Maybe I should try installing the Western Digital hard disks in a dedicated drawer and do a further test …

prodigio
    Participant

Trying to reverse the disks in their drawers not solve the problem, the same Seagate today has skip and cut problems…. at this point I do not know what else to say or do: (

Profile photo of Digital-Dinosaur
    Digital-Dinosaur
    Participant

My disk sits under the QU…. on the foam lining of the flight case. I guess the foam could help to protect the disk from vibration. Also the QU is not directly in front of any speakers or the drum kit etc (so I guess it’s not subject to high vibration). So far, I’ve only recorded one gig… and it worked perfectly. Over two hours of audio – and no jumps or skips.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

On both occasions when I have recorded multitrack audio to my Samsung M3 500gb HDD I get clicks, not jumping or skipping. Not ideal I have to say.

Lee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.