Multitrack Recording

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Multitrack Recording

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of boota boota 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

– Try Waves Tracks Live (https://www.waves.com/mixers-racks/tracks-live#presenting-tracks-live)
    – disengange WiFi (they sometimes share the same USB Bus inside the Laptop)
    – shut down all other Programms
    – Do you have an SSD in your Laptop?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@GraceGCE

Does not compute.

You record it all on the HD attached to the SQ then transfer the file to the PC, and
    then the DAW will work just fine without complaining about speed.

You do not use logic pro until after you transferred the file.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Almost all USB sticks are only around 10Mbyte write speeds.
    They might have 100Mbyte+ read, and often I have seen then advertised as pure 100MByte speeds without any word of the lower writespeeds….

Only way I have had no problems recording via SQ Drive, has been an external SSD enclosure with a SSD disk.
    (usually use Samsung EVO drives or Kingston A/UV400 series)

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The single most important factor to understand is a the degree to which a independent power supply is critical to the process and ultimate HD quality. This is the reason most flash drives provide spotty, at best, performance. I use, with out any problems, a Glyph GPT50 with it’s own power supply and it is a USB2 work horse. I use the USB drive on the face of the unit and can record hours of up to 16 tracks of multi-track performance with out a single hint of a glitch: however it is imperative to be fully versed in the A & H recording protocol. I have a complete Digigrid/Waves LV1 system set up in my project studio however I find dumping the tracks into the Waves system and S1 4.5 DAW after the fact to be most efficient and have not in any way degraded the final two mixes.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The single most important factor to understand is a the degree to which a independent power supply is critical to the process and ultimate HD quality. This is the reason most flash drives provide spotty, at best, performance. I use, with out any problems, a Glyph GPT50 with it’s own power supply and it is a USB2 work horse. I use the USB drive on the face of the unit and can record hours of up to 16 tracks of multi-track performance with out a single hint of a glitch: however it is imperative to be fully versed in the A & H recording protocol. I have a complete Digigrid/Waves LV1 system set up in my project studio: however I find dumping the tracks into the Waves system and S1 4.5 DAW after the fact to be most efficient and have not in any way degraded the final two mixes.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Grace GCF
    Grace GCF
    Participant

Is the SSD enclosure using usb 2.0 or 3.0?

Profile photo of PGW
    PGW
    Participant

@volounteer

Not necessarily faster than all new USB flash drives, but the USB flash drives I bought last year thinking they would work didn´t work very well despite looking good on paper.
    The Intel 540 I use has write/read speed of 400/560 mbps which isn´t very fast compared to newer SSD:s but still faster than most USB flash drives.
    I had the 540 laying in a drawer anyway so I bought a Deltaco USB to SATA-cabinet for about 20$, put the SSD in it and let the SQ5 format it – no problems so far, I´ve recorded about 15-20 full shows and a bunch of our own rehearsals so far.

I also use the SQ5 with Cakewalk (by Bandlab), no problems soundwise there either, just keep the computer clean from unnecessary programs, especially the autostarting ilk – which have a tendency to hog resources that could be used better in whatever DAW you use/prefer.

Profile photo of PGW
    PGW
    Participant

@Grace GCF
    If you´re asking about my SSD-cabinet it´s a USB2.

Grace GCF
    Participant

Thanks. I just bought this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GDriveSR-500–g-technology-g-drive-mobile-ssd-r-series-500gb-portable-solid-state-drive

Hopefully it will work. It is a usb 3.0 device but it’s backwards compatible with 2.0.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@GraceGCF

please let us know of AH is forward compatible with the usb3 you are using

Grace GCF
    Participant

Ok will do.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I called Glyph and the GPT 50 is no longer offered, however their USB3 studio version took it’s place in the line up and it also starts at 1TB, however the man I talked with (Jones) assured me that it is completely downward compatible with USB2 applications. This is real good news: an ultra fast bullet proof device that has external power for $149. If you do not need more than 16 tracks this device and the SQ drive were made for each other.
    Hugh

Profile photo of boota
    boota
    Participant

this is most likely because the SQ sends the audio stream in 96khz and logic is set to work in 48khz. set your sample rate in the logic project to 96 khz and the problem will disappear.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.