Multitrack Recording

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Multitrack Recording

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of boota boota 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Grace GCF
    Grace GCF
    Participant

So I know multitrack recording doesn’t work the best with sq drive and a usb stick.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the best way of doing multitrack recording. Example: best external hard drive or straight into a Mac?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

The SQ Drive is no option for me since it is until now not very reliable and 16 tracks is in the most cases too less for my needs. So, USB B is one of my alternatives. I also use Dante together with DVS. Since firmware version 1.2 both works reliable. But for important recordings I use both for redundancy issues. But my recording computers are running Windows 10, not MacOS. I had some troubles in the past using my Mid 2012 MBP with the SQ and so it stopped trying to run it with the Mac.

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

With Firmware 1.5 you can switch USB B and SQ Drive to 48kHz allowing 32 channels of recorded glory. And if we can trust Keith, 1.5 is right around the corner.

I bought me a SQ Waves card and record up to 48 channels without any troubles in WaveTrack Live on a 2010 13inch MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Grace GCF
    Participant

So is there any true way of recording multitrack to a Mac now without Dante or SQ Waves?

Profile photo of PGW
    PGW
    Participant

The problem (for me) so far when using SQ-drive has been the speed of the USB-drives, I bought a HD-cabinet and put an older SSD (Intel 540-series) in it – & the problems disappeared.

Grace GCF
    Participant

So can I not record to a Mac through the usb-b?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@GraceGCF

You should be able to record via usbb..

How much/how good depends on your hardware capacity/speed and the software including drivers.

Unlike @mfk0815 I use stems and have no need for more than 16 channels. Usually 8 is plenty.
    But I do not use a Mac. I have an older PC withOUT win10.

volounteer
    Participant

@PGW

are you saying that old SSDs are faster than new USB flash drives?

Could there be something else that is the problem?

Grace GCF
    Participant

How do I record multitrack directly to my Mac?

Grace GCF
    Participant

When I switch from sq-drive to usb-b in the I/O screen then choose the channels I want to record when I go back to the record utility screen, format and the arming options are grayed out and I can’t choose them.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

The record utility screen is only relevant for recording directly via SQ drive. And you can only use SQ drive or USB B but never both at the same time.
    The routing is the same, with the exception that you can record up to 32 signals via USB B.
    On your connected computer you have to run a DAW application which can record enough tracks simultaneously. I am using Reaper for years now and never had problems to record up to 64 tracks (using Dante) on my Laptops. For me it is worth every cent.

Grace GCF
    Participant

Is Logic Pro x a daw?

volounteer
    Participant

@GraceGCE

That is a mac and whatever software you are using question.
    Try gearslutz or other audio forums for more responses aimed at mac users.
    This forum is mostly AH devices plus whatever people may have connected to them.

How you record to the mac is connect it to the SQ via the usb.
    That may need an adapter cable.

Then it is all up to the mac and the software there.
    You may need to download a driver too.
    You will have better luck on that part of your question in mac audio forums.

Perhaps you would have better luck with garbageband or audacity , which is free and simpler , than logic.
    Yes logic pro x is a DAW.

It sounds like you would find it easier to use a hard drive on the SQ directly then copy it to the DAW.

Grace GCF
    Participant

Yes I would like to record it directly on the sq to a drive.

Grace GCF
    Participant

I got it all setup and started recording right into Logic Pro x but got an error after about 30 seconds of recording saying my drive isn’t fast enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.