Multitrack recording

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting Multitrack recording

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stonepiano Stonepiano 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mask
    Mask
    Participant

Hi,
    Our church recently purchased a SQ6 console. I’ve have never used a digital board before. I’m try to record live music so I can practice mixing. When I patch in the I/O USB setting i loose the patches on the main mix. Ideas?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

What you mean? Input… Output…

Profile photo of Mask
    Mask
    Participant

Yup

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

So again, What you mean?
    Did you read the Quick Start Guide and the reference manual?

Profile photo of Mask
    Mask
    Participant

I did read the manual. When I patch lines in the input/output setting. Page 17 in the reference guide

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hmm, You can patch the outputs to several targets, so you can send the outputs (mix outputs and direct outs) direct to the USB output sockets. But only one output to each socket.
    On the other hand you can only assign one input socket (local, Slink or USB) to a given input channel.
    So if you want to record a session, you can route the direct outs of the input channels, or optional, the input sockets via tie lines to the USB outs. Then you can record the signals. The input channels are assigned to the input sockets where the microphones or instruments are connected to.

If you want to use the multi track recording (for practice or the sound technicians) you have to assign the USB inputs to the input channels. There is no other way to hear that signals through the mixer.

Profile photo of Nicole A&H
    Nicole A&H

Hi @Mask,

Firstly as it is a live show/session happening at the same time, you need to set your inputs and outputs as normal on the I/O Page whether that is the local, Slink inputs and outputs or a combination of the two.

Once you have done this, you need to connect your Windows or Mac OS System to the SQ using the USB B port on the back of the desk. If you are using a Windows operating system, you will need to download the Windows ASIO Driver for SQ USB Control. This is available free from our website.

Make sure once this is done, that you have set your audio input and output preferences on your computer and that the USB ASIO Driver is set to 96kHz sample rate. You then need to go into the SQ and back to the I/O Page. On the USB tab of the I/O page, make sure in the top left corner that the USB driver that is selected is the USB B. Go to the audio set up of the SQ and make sure the sample rate is 96kHz and is set to internal.

Now to set up the patch for your recording during the live session, go back to the I/O Page. On the left hand side, select the Inputs and select the Tie Line Tab. The wherever your inputs are patched to for the live show e.g. Slink, select the Slink tab on the left hand side which is part of the tie lines tab. You can now patch you Slink inputs to your USB B inputs, which you can select on the top/right hand side of the screen.

That way you now have inputs for the live session and for recording into your DAW.

If you need any further support with this, please start a ticket at https://support.allen-heath.com/ and I will be happy to help you further.

Kindest Regards,
    Nicole

Profile photo of BriBri
    BriBri
    Participant

Hi there,

I’d like to piggy-back off what has been discussed regarding multi-track recording and tie lines, but with signals coming back into the SQ7 from a DAW, particularly so that I can run virtual sound checks. I am running my SQ7 via USB-B to a Windows laptop, on which I am running the Reaper DAW. I figured out how to send channel signals to the DAW for recording purposes (I am currently recording 14 channels from the board.). However, I cannot seem to get the channels from my DAW back to the channels of my SQ7, so that I can do a virtual soundcheck.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Brian

Profile photo of Stonepiano
    Stonepiano
    Participant

Hello,

I´m still wondering… I have no need for a DAW- connection at a gig, I just want to record multitrack on an external hard drive, from the top-surface USB- connection, but the “Arm”- button is greyed out, why is that? In Qu it worked like a charm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.