Multitrack Playback of Files Not Recorded on SQ

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Multitrack Playback of Files Not Recorded on SQ

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of IraBob IraBob 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Hello,
    I have some multitrack recordings on a Glyph HD that I recorded using a JoeCo Blackbox. All the tracks are WAV files recorded at 44.1kHz. I would like to use them as source material for training, since I’m new to the SQ-5. The Glyph HD has the USB Type B connector (the square one), the same as the USB 2.0 connector on the SQ.
    1. Is it possible to do this? Can I connect the Glyph drive (with its own power supply) into the SQ-Drive port? I’m trying this, but I can’t access any of the recording directories or individual WAV files.
    2. Do I need to transfer the files to a USB drive or my computer?
    3. Do the files need to be converted to 48kHz (using Reaper)?
    4. Alternative to all of this, are there multitrack files either available from A&H or from forum members that I could use as source material to train myself on the SQ-5?

I’ve tried resampling the files in Reaper to 48kHz and transferring them to a USB stick formatted in the SQ, but I’m having no luck so far.
    TIA,
    Ira

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Folks, I’ve been able to figure this out. Sorry I can’t just delete the question. If there’s a way to edit or delete a previous post, please let me know.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@irabob

do not delete
    ADD your ANSWER so others searching may find it to help them

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Volunteer – Thanks for the suggestion.
    I’m doing this mainly to help myself remember the steps I had to take. I’m assuming this is really basic stuff that users here already know how to do.
    These instructions involve using Reaper and the USB 2.0 port on the SQ. Using the SQ drive port seems to involve a whole other set of issues which I haven’t solved yet.

1. Make sure the tracks are sampled at 48kHz or 96kHz. Bit depth can be either 16 or 24. Make sure to install the ASIO driver on your computer and follow its instructions.

2. In Reaper, open a new project and insert your recorded tracks. In my testing, I used 5 short tracks from a multitrack recording I made with a JoeCo Blackbox and resampled those to 96kHz. Here’s the part that stumped me at first: On each track, go the Route selector (next to the FX, Trim and Pan controls). In the Audio Hardware Outputs dropdown menu, select the desired Output Channel. Channel 1 Output = USB Channel 1, for example, and Channel 3 Out/Channel 4 Out corresponds to USB Channels 3 & 4. Route all your tracks in this way.

3. On the SQ, select Processing, then select a channel strip. Touch the top “Preamp” section. In the Source Select portion of the window, select “USB Port” from the dropdown list. Next, select the small window to the right. Using the main encoder rotary control, select a number. This number will correspond to the USB Channel Out you chose in Reaper. When you’ve assigned all the channel strips with a USB Port channel number, press Play on Reaper and all your tracks should come up as you’ve assigned them.

4. If you want, save a “USB 2 Playback” Scene on the SQ so that your input settings are saved.

Using the SQ Drive to play back my test files hasn’t worked yet, and it seems there are other hoops I need to jump through, including renaming the files and placing them in the proper folder, as the manual page 96 describes. But some of the info isn’t quite clear to me, so I will ask for additional clarification in another thread.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@irabob

Thanks.

Everybody has a first time once.
    And often after a long break it seems like the first time again:)

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

Everybody has a first time once.
    And often after a long break it seems like the first time again:)

It seems that at my age, a “long break” can be as little as 24 hours! But it definitely helps to write it all down. Thanks for the suggestion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.