Multitrack files from eg.Telefunken site?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Multitrack files from eg.Telefunken site?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lars Arvidsson
    Lars Arvidsson
    Participant

Hi!
    Multitrack file playback without DAW?
    I have been trying to open multitrack files from the Telefunken site but I can not open them in my SQ-5.
    I have tried both 48 and 96khz multitracks
    I have been following the advice on file names, sizes and folders on the USB drive, but have not had any luck.
    I can make a multitrack recording on the SQ itself, and I do not have any problems with the SQ accepting my USB drives.
    I have been told to open the tracks in a DAW and drop them into tracks created in an SQ recording, but I would like to know if anyone has been able to open downloaded multitracks directly downloaded to a USB drive just using a computer for downloading and moving/renaming files (without a DAW that is…)
    Thanks
    Lars

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Lars,

Here is a knowledgebase article with more details on what’s required regarding the format/naming/folder structure here-
    https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4402940122001-SQ-Re-Rendering-Files-for-SQ-Drive-Multitrack-Playback

It does all need to be exactly the same as it would be if the SQ had made the recording in order to ‘trick’ the SQ into playing it back.
    i.e. it’s not only a case of renaming and organising the files, they need to all be exactly the same length as well as the correct format (mono 48/96kHz 24bit WAV with minimal meta info).

Hope this helps!
    Keith.

Profile photo of Lars Arvidsson
    Lars Arvidsson
    Participant

Thanks Keith!
    I have looked carefully at the SQ-Re-Rendering… page many times.
    I have renamed all files (exactly the same size, length, sample rate) and put them in the specified file structure, still no luck. I put several hours into renaming and organizing many different Telefunken multitracks, but no go… Could it be a metadata problem then?
    I recorded a multitrack using my SQ5 and looked at the file naming and structure to get it right… The strange thing is that if i record an empty multitrack in my SQ, I get 22 tracks. 19 of them are the same size (in this case 2,4mb) but there are two 66kb tracks and one 33kb track.

Has anyone found a multitrack that I can open in my SQ without learning to work a DAW?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

I had a lot of issues too, but discovered that my audio file converters were quietly putting headers in the WAV files.

I was finally able to convert them using Audacity which is free. I had purchased 2 other paid converters and neither of those worked, and I didn’t want to use another paid option.

In Audacity;
    Set Sample Rate (48k or 96k)
    “Import” the original track(s).
    Export / or Export Multiple
    Choose “WAV (Microsoft) signed 24-bit PCM”
    “Remove” Metadata tags when prompted
    Name Tracks to SQ format

Once you get a good save, create a template in Audacity for to speed things up on your next run.

KeithJ A&H

Hi Lars,

Could it be a metadata problem then?

Yes – the re-rendering using a DAW with the settings shown in the article ensures the file type and size but also notice that the options for embedding BWF, Tempo and Markers are deselected.
    There are some programs which will strip data (e.g. tag stripper for mac – https://www.markvapps.com/tagstripper or you could do it manually using audacity – https://www.audacityteam.org/) but this still doesn’t guarantee compatibility which is why we suggest using something like Reaper that can do everything in one go.

if i record an empty multitrack in my SQ, I get 22 tracks. 19 of them are the same size (in this case 2,4mb) but there are two 66kb tracks and one 33kb track

This doesn’t sound right, so it might be that your USB storage is not suitable for multitrack. The meter and error logging on the SQ-Drive multitrack screen will give the best indication of performance.
    Note that we recommend using an external caddy type drive for multitrack rather than a USB stick/pen drive.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of SpicerBob
    SpicerBob
    Participant

Note that we recommend using an external caddy type drive for multitrack rather than a USB stick/pen drive.

Can that be SSD or SATA or anything else?
    Anything else I need to look out for?
    Can you recommend one?

Thanks, Bob

KeithJ A&H

@spicerbob

We don’t officially recommend any drives as chipsets (and therefore performance and compatibility) can change in products without notice, either over time or from region to region.
    This is related to the caddy and connection to the mixer rather than the drive itself – I’ve not seen any problems relating to the SSD or HDD itself.
    We just don’t recommend pen/stick drives for multitrack as the majority of them are spec’d for bursts of data transfer rather than the continuous speeds needed for recording/playback.

Another option is to use SD cards with adaptors as described here – https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403616227985-General-Qu-SQ-SD-card-adaptors-for-Qu-Drive-and-SQ-Drive
    SD cards performance is more regulated and so once a suitable adaptor is found, it’s just a case of getting SD cards at the correct spec.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.