Multiband Compressors!

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Multiband Compressors!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andre S Andre S 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Audioboy
    Audioboy
    Participant

Love to see a multi band compressor for the Sq Series. I have them in my GLD’s, and wow, great feature. Totally great for fixing vocals. Please add multi band compressors to the Sq’s!

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

I’m primarily a keyboard player and mix IEMs for my band. While I’m pretty good at this, I’m not the most experienced sound guy.

Audioboy, can you share some examples of how you fix vocals with multi-band compressors?

Profile photo of Audioboy
    Audioboy
    Participant

hey Barry- In my market, I have a lot of people who “eat” the mic, causing the highs to be “garbled”, and the lows to be overemphasized. The multi band compressors allow me to compress only frequencies below a set point, not affecting the highs. I cannot tell you how well this works! I also have two Allen & Heath GLD’s, and they have this feature.
    Recently did a rap group with three vocalists, and of course mic cupping and “my ego is bigger than yours” was very much in evidence. But I refuse to do a show where the vocals are garbled, so multiband compression (I like to call them tuneable compressors) to the rescue! Clear, easy to understand vocals were the result, along with so many compliments that the group never sounded this good.

Actually, what I’m describing is only a part of what Multi band compression can do for you. Many more “problem solvers” are available from this feature.

If you have a multiband compressor to work with, try setting the low pass around 500Hz, so things below 500 get compressed, things over 500Hz less so. Play with your compressor’s ratio and threshold controls. If you are in a acousticlly live room, do your comparisons on headphones. I find the results quite impressive!
    Please Allen & Heath, do add these features to a future firmware update for the Sq!

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

Thanks, Audioboy, for taking the time to further educate many of us!

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi Barryjam,

another good example would be multiband compresson on distorted guitars when changing from one technique to another. Playing open strings you can have a full fat sound. When guitarist (like myself) play palm muted (resting the palm of the picking hand close to brigde to kind of semi mute the strings) the low end gets way to prominent, if you donĀ“t change the eq or put the HPF quite high. You also could at the same time tame or exaggerate the picking noise, depending on the desired effect.
    Or imagine a bass guitar changing from fingerpicking to plectrum to slapping. Much easier to control all of different sounding techniques than having just one static eq setting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.