Multi Track recording

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Multi Track recording

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dont.Trip
    Dont.Trip
    Participant

Hello – I have a new QU 16 mixer. This is my first mixer with a digital mixer. I also have an Alesis HD 24 24 track recorder. I like it for the edit functions and so forth. The QU 16 has 12 outputs. My issue is being able to discreetly send 10 channel inputs to the outputs to the HD 24. Anyone with any experience with this ? It’s not as easy as it sounds. Thanx in advance.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Why not just multi-track within the QU and then load the files into your Alesis for editing?

🙂

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

*** content removed – inappropriate comment that does not contribute to thread ***

This seems to be trivial to do once you have the right cable and connectors plugged in.

Dont.Trip
    Participant

Cables and connections are fine. If you’re familiar with the QU 16, then you know there are lots of routing options in the touch screen . Too many for me at this point. But I’ll soldier on. : )

Thanx for responding

volounteer
    Participant

Unclear what your problem really is. You connect outputs to inputs. One to one.
    Whatever is on that Qu16 output goes to the input at the Alesis.

You have 4 mono and 3 stereo for a total of ten. Actually 7 different monos unless you can hard pan some other inputs to the stereo outs to keep them separate. Not sure if that is possible as I never tried that.
    The 10 XLR connectors are on the back of the Qu16.

Or you could also use the USB out from the Qu16 for a larger number of channels.
    Does Alesis have USB in or can you get another device to convert the USB to the Alesis inputs.

Not sure exactly what screens has to do with the actual question in the OP.

Try asking the actual question and state the actual problem you really have.
    Please state them both clearly without obfuscation or unnecessary verbiage.

@Lee7 had a good answer for what your problem seems like it must be *** content removed – inappropriate comment that does not contribute to thread ***

Dont.Trip
    Participant

Obfuscation … unnecessary verbiage ? This is my first time on this site. I’m a tech myself. What I’m asking is not rocket science if you’re familiar with the QU 16. If you don’t know what I’m asking, please feel free to take a pass. I will not entertain drama.

volounteer
    Participant

@Dont Trip

I am familiar with it. But your questions are oblique and could refer to various things.

*** content removed – inappropriate comment that does not contribute to thread ***

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Here’s an offering. When I’m learning the ropes on a piece like this, in addition to the manual -which is a must of course, the block diagram is where you may really want to go here.
    I’d say start at the outputs on the right, follow them back to their routing options. The pans there would be used to route/separate your tracks 5–10 on the otherwise stereo’ only pairs.
    (Ignore the blue stuff- I added them for one of my own configs..)

You’re a tech’, don’t trip.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Assign channel 1 through 4 to mixes 1 through 4 respectively. Assign channel 5 & 6 to mix 5/6. Pan ch 5 full left and 6 full right. Repeat for channels 7 & 8 to mix 7/8, and channels 9 & 10 to mix 9/10. Attack Qu mix outputs to your recorder.

If you want the faders on the Qu to adjust the recording levels on your recorder, you will need to set the mix inputs to “Post Fader”. Set to “Pre Fader” to record the channel signals directly after the channel gain setting.

Another way would be to use “Y” input cables. One side to the Qu input channels, the other side to your recorder.

As you probably know, most analog boards have insert send jacks for each channel for use with outboard devices such as multitrack recorders or effects. Because the Qu has multitrack capabilities and effects built in, there is really no need for these insert sends.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Good answer from Garyh there. *** content removed – personal comment that does not contribute to thread ***

Are you doing this recording in a studio setting, or are you recording a live event?

In a studio, the Mix source could be “Post All” with Post Fader selected, then you can use the gate, peq, and compressor to alter what is recorded.

In a live event, it’s probably much better to set the Mixes to the “Post Preamp” setting, and to Pre-Fader, so that you can mix the event without altering how it’s recorded.

See section 9.9 on Page 40 of the manual which explains how to do this.

Panning (say) channel 5 to output 5 is done on the channel, when the Mix 5&6 button is selected, and is independent of what you do with panning for the L&R mix, which allows you to get 10 different outputs from the Mixes.

To avoid accidentally adding one channel to another, I’d probably Un-assign everything from each mix by selecting the “All Off”, then just individually turning back on each of the channels you want to record. See bottom of page 41 for this.

Dont.Trip
    Participant

Thanx garyh and MarkPAman. What you guys recommend makes sense. I’m sure I was missing combining 5&6 and panning. So this is useful.
    *** content removed – personal comment that does not contribute to thread ***
    Thanx Again and Happy Motoring !

volounteer
    Participant

Asking good specific questions makes it easier to give better answers.
    Ask something vague and confusing and often they will get no answer.

volounteer
    Participant

@markpaman

The manual is bad. But if he cant/wont ask a meaningful question then what else should I suggest.

If he read the fine manual and found it confusing he could point to the area he had problems with and we could help.
    But vague questions that do not relate to what his real issue really was make it a guessing game to give useful help.

I thought he wanted a secret way to record when he said discreet. Should have guessed he meant discrete.

He talked about connections to the Alesis. He vaguely mentioned screens which have nothing to do with cabling the two boxes.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

volounteer
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.