Multi-surface questions

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Multi-surface questions

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RobbO RobbO 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RobbO
    RobbO
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m looking at a pretty big dLive system for our venue to replace a few aging Yamaha desks. I’d love to hear some thoughts and experiences on the multi-surface aspects of the system. If I have my way we’ll have an s7000 at FoH with a DM48 and an s5000 for monitors with a DM0. Signal will come from the DM48 and a couple DX168 expanders. I’ve been looking around on the web for info on multi-surface operation and I’ve found some basics to get me started.

Ok, now for the questions…

How does signal get from the DM48 and expanders to the monitor console? Is it just a matter of patching in the I/O screen?

How does signal get from the monitor console to the outputs of the DM48? Can the outputs that feed my monitor amps be routed back through the Mixrack outputs from the monitor console?

Is gain tracking still used if both consoles have separate Mixracks?

What are your thoughts on using the dLive in a multi-surface configuration? We’re coming from an analog splitter setup, which I’m looking forward to putting into deep storage.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Robb

Profile photo of guma
    guma
    Participant

Aha???

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

of course, because this is done via the trim controls, which are located behind the preamp in each of the two consoles. so the trim has nothing to do with the preamp, but with the mixer.
    since the last firmware update you can connect two consoles to one mixrack. then you have to split the channels (e.g. 64CH for FOH, 64CH for monitor). but it is possible and would even save the DM0.

How does signal get from the DM48 and expanders to the monitor console? Is it just a matter of patching in the I/O screen?
    that is routed in the I/O screen

How does signal get from the monitor console to the outputs of the DM48?
    that is routed in the I/O screen

What are your thoughts on using the dLive in a multi-surface configuration?
    honestly: i still favour the analog split. this makes you as independent as possible, which means you can even connect consoles from different manufacturers without one influencing the other.
    of course, the interconnection of two mixers into one large system also has its advantages. here you can do without the splitbox and only have one data signal between the two consoles. this saves truckspace and weight.
    the decision which logic you want to use here also depends on your application.

Profile photo of RobbO
    RobbO
    Participant

Thanks, Wolfgang.

I’m tempted to get away from our analog split since it’s W3 connectors have been a point of failure. I suppose I could have them refurbished though. Since this will be an installed system with network support the multi-surface feature is interesting. The integrator I’m working with suggested the DM0 for the monitor surface and aside from separating the signal processing fromm the DM48 I’m a little cloudy on what it does.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Hey RobbO, I’d imagine the main benefit of going to a DM0 as opposed to using 2 surfaces off of one rack (via a GigaAce card) would be if you required a very high channel or buss count – the Mixrack supports a finite number of channels and outputs, if you’re starting to talk big channel counts and and lots of sends on top of whatever internal busses are required, you need to factor that into your configuration… a DMO would allow you a full channel count on both surfaces, and totally independent busses/FX etc… having said that, it would need to be a very complex system to need it! If you go the analog split, you’re still going to need 2 DM racks (48 or whatever) to do the job. On a permanent install, gain sharing/tracking would suit most people realistically, and saves an awful lot of copper (as you’ve said, that’s been a source of failures).

Profile photo of RobbO
    RobbO
    Participant

Thanks, BigSounds. It’s going to be a fairly complex system that will imcorporate an SQ or another dLive for the booth, dante inputs and outputs from other sources in the building. Plus we have a little blackbox room with a GLD that will eventually get a Dante card. I’m willing to tackle the complexity in order to avoid the copper – but keep it as a backup.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.