Multi surface question

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting Multi surface question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RS RS 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

As the manual is very vage on some of the multi surface ins and outs I am trying to shed some leght on this.

This is for a multi room installation with a DM 48 and a giga ace card installed and 2 C Class consoles.

The manual talks about “primary” and “secondary” surfaces without giving any clue, what the differences are. At least there seems to a difference in how the surfaces have to be connected to the mixrack and in what order they have to be switched on.
    My findings so far:
    – primary console must be connected to internal gigaAce and switched on
    – only then a secondary console can be connected to the gigaAce card (frontpanel network bridge switch to “on”) and sees the mixrack

questions:
    – for what situations the frontpanel network switch on gigaAce cards has to set to “off”?
    – is there a way to connect a surface to the gigaAce card without having the switch on the surface connected to the internal gigaAce port? in my setup (firmware 1.7) this is a no-go. That surface won’t see the mixrack.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

questions:
    – for what situations the frontpanel network switch on gigaAce cards has to set to “off”?

if you need two separeted networks and using the GigaACE port only for splitting

– is there a way to connect a surface to the gigaAce card without having the switch on the surface connected to the internal gigaAce port? in my setup (firmware 1.7) this is a no-go. That surface won’t see the mixrack.

no, see above…

the switch affects only the control network

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

if you need two separeted networks and using the GigaACE port only for splitting

maybe something here gets lost in translation. If you talk of “networks” you a talking control networks?
    Can you point me to a practical situation for this?

regards

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

nothing lost in translation…
    audio and control network follow the same rules…

a separeted broadcast mix in a different room with it’s own mixrack (or a SQ, since the S-Link understands GigaACE)

any situation where you really need to separate the split from your main control network
    this is not multi surface mode…
    in multi surface mode you have multiple (4) surfaces (S, C, Director) in one shared network

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi RS,

Just to confirm, did you download the ‘Understanding Multisurface’ document as well as the Firmware Reference Guide?

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Understanding-Multi-Surface-ISS1.pdf

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Just to confirm, did you download the ‘Understanding Multisurface’ document as well as the Firmware Reference Guide?

Ah, there it is….
    Link to the reference guide is in the software download section. And no clue in there for additional info. Maybe a hint for the stupid ones like me?

thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.