Multi surface options

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Multi surface options

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of acs680 acs680 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of acs680
    acs680
    Participant

Our current system is a C3500 and a CDM48. The plan is to add two more surfaces for monitors and video production. For FOH and monitors I simply plan to split the 128 channels into 64/64 with both surfaces running to the mix rack. How would I add a third surface for broadcast that allowed independent channel processing from the other two?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Guess…
    this is not possible, you will need another mixrack

but you can add DM0, only processing, no Mic/Line in or out
    only networking

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

You could add an SQ-5 or SQ-6 for either monitors or broadcast.

Profile photo of PFL
    PFL
    Participant

You can of course split to 3 consoles and have separate channel processing on each position but then it´s only possible to use around 42 ch at each position. Or eg. 50/40/38 or what you choose yourself. Of course everything else needs to splitt as well (FX, Auxes, DCA, Groups etc).

Otherwise a DM0 as Steffen says with a G-ACE card in each mix rack. But then it´s not possible with gain-compensation to the DM0 system.

/Peter

Profile photo of JLD
    JLD
    Participant

Anyone, confirm that the CDM will be able to handle Moore then 2 surfaces. With only one card slot, only one extra card with gigaACE will be available for an extra surface.
    To be able to use 3 surfaces a DM unit is needed.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I think you can put a gigaAce card in a surface and send the signal from there to another surface.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Understanding-Multi-Surface-ISS1.pdf

on page two, the first point in the document says:
    Multi-Surface mode allows the connection of up to 4 Surfaces to a single DM MixRack or 2 Surfaces to a single CDM MixRack.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Understanding-Multi-Surface-ISS1.pdf

on page two, the first point in the document says:
    Multi-Surface mode allows the connection of up to 4 Surfaces to a single DM MixRack or 2 Surfaces to a single CDM MixRack.

Well I guess that answers that!

Profile photo of Jay
    Jay
    Participant

ACS,

While it isn’t generally discussed, you can connect a surface (or surfaces) and mixrack over the “network” connection if you don’t need audio to/from the surface. This means no audio at all – including PAFL. Works the same was Director does.

Support for this configuration was raised, and confirmed, in a thread shortly after the presentation for 1.60 was made.

To see this, disconnect your GigaACE between the mixrack & surface then connect just the “network” between them. All control works – just no audio.

There may be other restrictions on the CDM, but if not, you can probably get 2 surfaces with audio and 2 more without. For those “without”, just route analog or Dante for PAFL and other needs.

Jay

Profile photo of acs680
    acs680
    Participant

Thanks all. It appears based on this, to have a 64, 64, and 64 split all with independent channel processing, etc, I’ll need a DM rack either replacing the CDM or adding a DM0.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.