Multi channel recording

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Multi channel recording

This topic contains 34 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pilotspike
    pilotspike
    Participant

I wouldn’t consider the Dante card to be pricey at all. Pretty cheap actually when you consider the capability. I think I paid ~$1300 and it was worth every penny. That plus a cheap license to Reaper gets you 64 channels of multitrack for less than $1600 (if you have the computer). And on top of that you have a DAW that you can use to mix it down.

We use a 3TB USB LaCie drive and regularly track 41 channels 44.1/24 without issue.

John

Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

Rob Spence is indeed Correct – when compared against the alternatives – the integration of the somewhat costly Dante Card is significantly less expensive, more available and more capable than the alternative yamaha option – which still only allows 32 channels at 44.1kz.

A&H offer a higher channel count, less financial output on the desk, admittedly a higher card price (but you only have to buy 1), and a seamless integration into the system – offer a higher sampling rate without compromise to the number of channels that can be run, and above all… no faffing about routing this that and the other all over the place to just get signal to your DAW.

I have a dante cards for each of my two GLD80, and even as a smalltime audiovisual operator – they have paid themselves back ten times.
    I do some recording work for some of the local Amateur dramatic societies, offering a live PA and mic’ing solution aswell as a seamless recording of each production.

I have run all 48 tracks with no problems whatsoever straight into mac mini i7 16gb running Propellerheads reason 7.5 with a USB 3.0 drive, on many productions now and have never even had anything that might represent the slightest glitch.

Plus as well as all this I have the benefit of being able to interface with other manufacturers desks running Dante outputs, and nearly ever bigger gig I am at these days is showing more and more respect for the Dante Protocol – I was at a closed door meeting with Roland in October whilst at Plasa14 – they are even supporting Dante on the new 5000 series desk.

I honestly cannot see A&H developing a seperate budget line recorder for the purposes of recording up to 48 tracks – if you even think about the costings of the ICE16 – retail on it is about £850 for 16 tracks – in theory you’d be looking for 3 times 16 tracks that so over £2500 – so in retrospectful thought even adding one single A&H Dante card at a cost of anything from £800 to £1100 pounds does not seem that unrealistic a pricing, a basic GLD system costing around £6500 at the minute.

A&H Dante card (48 tracks per card) – £800-£1100
    Yamaha MY16 AUD (16 tracks per card) – £550 each (£1650 for 48 tracks… but you are limited to 32)

Its all down to circumstance and your budget, but when actually weighing up the options, pricing and realms of possibility… my own opinion is that A&H are well ahead of the curve on their relative pricing, functionality, and ease of use.

Thats just my thoughts
    JW

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

I’m still learning too, just got our GLD 112 with a Dante card.
    You only need a license on the computers connected to the card for recording, it doesn’t matter where you do the mixdown.

As for the other posts, compared to multi track recorders the card is reasonable and does so much more. Up to 64 tracks bi-directional.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

I know this post is a little old but I’ll reply anyway.
    We have a GLD 112 with the Dante card, I think for the price it is the best option for this many channels in digital straight to computer.
    Virtual Sound Card Licenses are only needed for computers you are recording on but $30 isn’t much for a lifetime license.
    You do not need licenses on other computers used for mix down, editing etc. I have recorder 44 tracks with no problem.
    I understand that the Thunderbolt to Gb network adapter is sufficient.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

My M-Dante card came with a token for a single DVS license. I use it for recording from my GLD-112 to a MacBook Pro. I am going to be buying another card for my GLD-80, also for recording, but giving me the option to run it as a monitor mixer too.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.