Multi channel recording

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Multi channel recording

This topic contains 34 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eddy_current
    Eddy_current
    Participant

Does anybody know if A&H are developing an ICE type recorder that will interface digitally with the GLD?, I don’t really want to buy a very expensive Dante card but would be interested in a stand alone recorder/ playback unit.

Dave

GLD 80
    GL2400-24
    Mixwiz3

Profile photo of gkhewitt
    gkhewitt
    Participant

Even if they did you would still need an interface card like Dante as none of the other ports on the surface (such as the Ethernet port) pass audio.

I guess you could have something hang off the monitor port on the AR2412 but it would be a limited number of channels.

Profile photo of Sligo-Sound
    Sligo-Sound
    Participant

similar question so keeping it in the same thread.

if we are using 2 gld desks which are both fitted with the ACE i/o cards.
    can one port be connected to the second desk and the other to something like the ICE?

if not why not?

Sligo-Sound
    Participant

further to my question above from the Ace module documentation;

“Q: Can I record from ACE ?
    A: Not directly; ACE is ‘point to point’ so is used to transport audio from the “mixer” – the iDR MixRack DSP brain, to another MixRack or control surface which could provide analogue, digital or ADAT outputs depending on the type and options fitted.”

so theoretically the answer looks like yes if the Ice or similar unit was fitted with an Ace compatible input?

Sligo-Sound
    Participant

So it looks like we need a new recording product with an ace compatible input with an i/o patch that could be controlled by laptop over an ethernet connection.
    Buying a dante card setup (with its licensing limitations and cost and complexity) is not a runner for doing the odd live recording but having a unit that could leverage the standard dual desk Ace card setup and so have a smaller cost could possibly make some sense?

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

Dante is not very complex. Very easy to understand and excellent resources available to use to get anyone new to this up and running. Plus the audio interface driver for the laptop to record up to 64 channels works flawlessly once it is set up. Finally, for any important recording GIGS we use a network switch and can have a backup or two computers recording. Not sure how to do that with ACE etc.

Profile photo of Eddy_current
    Eddy_current
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I think that Dante is a superb solution. My only gripe is the cost , nearly a third the price of the console for a single card. What if you could use the ME interface? The ME1 can be plugged into the monitor port on a AR2412 or DSnake connection so the DSnake must pass the required audio. The decoding chips obviously exist in the ME1 at a reasonable cost, the only problem is getting the playback Audi back into the GLD.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

I agree that the Dante card is unreasonably expensive. If A&H were to adapt the ME-1 monitor circuitry into their recorder and sell it at a reasonable price that would be the bees knees (LOL).

But I see a fly in the ointment here. The monitor return is on stage and the recorder/player would be best situated at the console.

BobWitte
    Participant

JoeCo boxes start at $2000 for only 24 tracks, mid $3000 and up for 64 tracks. Price is set by what the features will provide. I guess I look at the overall system price and what it can do. With an easy backup solution, 64 tracks of audio (48 channels plus other buses), I believe it is a good deal. We have only done several live audio recordings and the system has paid for itself and then some. Plus it has the support of various vendors for future options whether it is amplifiers, wireless mics, other mixers, etc…..

Hope you can cobble something together at a lower price.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

BobWitte,

In my GLD80 I have a Dante card and use it to talk to my MacBook Pro. That being said, my opinion above still stands. Look at how inexpensively A&H as well as others implement multi-channel recording.

Further, I just do not understand introducing ICE, a recorder with analog ins and outs. I am sure sharper minds than mine prevail at A&H but whatsupwitdat?

John

BobWitte
    Participant

OK, I don’t see who does this inexpensively? I must be missing something?

In my GLD80 I have a Dante card and use it to talk to my MacBook Pro. That being said, my opinion above still stands. Look at how inexpensively A&H as well as others implement multi-channel recording.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Bob, It is safe to assume we use our mixers for quite different purposes. Mine is closer to hobby use but it does become part of a large wireless microphone system for plays that makes decent coin on occasion. It sounds like you use yours to help support yourself. I’m a bit jealous…

I know the channel count is different but the mixer companies that begin with B and Y each have built in solutions. The Qu can do 18 ch recording with only a little outboard memory.

That Dante card was darned expensive.

Profile photo of Figures
    Figures
    Participant

Could multitrace recording be accomplished using the Ethersound card?

Profile photo of Rob-Spence
    Rob-Spence
    Participant

While the Dante card is expensive (perhaps a talk with your distributor could get you a better price?) it is in line with other options. I need 2 cards for my Yamaha and at $1000 I only get 32 channels so the card for the GLD seems reasonable.

To an above comment, what is the issue with licenses?

Profile photo of Kenelm
    Kenelm
    Participant

I’m new to this forum, and quite a newcomer to digital mixing, so please forgive me if this is a silly question 🙂

I have a GLD-80, and wish to use a Dante card to allow me to do live multichannel recording. I would like to use my MacBook Pro rather than carry a desktop machine, but it only has a Thunderbolt port, no Gigabit Ethernet. Has anyone tried using Dante via an Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit adaptor? If so, how well does it work? Can I expect to be able to record 32 channels?

Also. as I intend to mix down in my home studio using Logic X on a desktop mac with decent size monitors, will I need two licences? If so, is there any way around this?

I agree with the comments about the price of the Dante card, but are there any other viable options?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.