multi-band compressor and de-esser

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions multi-band compressor and de-esser

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

multi-band compressor and a de-esser that sounds like a DBX 902

these would be wonderful!

at least to me 🙂

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

multi-band compressor and a de-esser that sounds like a DBX 902

Funny, I had all these and more from a small outboard rack which worked with every single one of my various analog consoles….

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

Buy gld……

Profile photo of dickiefunk
    dickiefunk
    Participant

Either of those would be amazing to have but not sure how much DSP space is left for additional fx in the QU mixers? I notice that the cheaper Behringer X32, X-Air and Soundcraft UI series have de-essers. A multi and compressor maybe expecting too much at this price point as I’m not aware of any of the other brands having this feature at this price point. Would be amazing to have one though! Also, an expander could be useful.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’d suggest that the DSP could be used in different ways – a deesser could be coded alongside the other fx we have…

The Roland M300 has limited DSP, and different FX units take different ‘amounts’ of that DSP. So you can use four simple FX, but if you pick complicated ones you can put it in any FX unit, but you can’t use more than a couple, and you seriously limit what else you can use.
    That’s quite a sophisticated combination, but you get the idea.

Profile photo of LK
    LK
    Participant

+1 De-Esser – would be so helpful!
    THX!

Profile photo of harerton
    harerton
    Participant

+1 for the de-esser! I think is an essential tool!

Profile photo of ShawnM
    ShawnM
    Participant

Yeth a de-ethher would be awethome! 🙂

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Gosh, could A&H see it in their hearts to include the Multiband compressor3 and or 4 found in the GLD in the next update for the Qu series?

PLEEEEEEASE ???

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Yeth a de-ethher would be awethome! 🙂

HA HA HA

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You guys must be using excessively bright systems.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

GC, a de-esser can come in very handy for some folks using headset mics or lectern mics, especially on corporate gigs where you don’t know who will be coming up to speak.
    A de-esser can also be used in moderation on a channel for an instrument that sits in the higher frequencies, such as a flute, piccolo, saxophone or other woodwind or reedy instruments. I’ve even used one on a very bright electric guitar, just to tame the 2k to 6k range when the player would power through chords in that range.
    Yes, there are also a few excessively bright house systems I’ve run across. On those I just reach for the Mains EQ. I’ve found the Graphic EQ to be very handy for a quick tweak during a show.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I understand all that. Been a recording, live, broadcast engineer for over 40 yrs. I have never seen the need for the them in live sound. More so in recording and broadcast. Sure you can always make a way to implement one but generally other things can solve the problem. Personally a little sibilance is not all that bad as long as it is not on the awful side then again, fix it other ways. That area is where articulation makes the difference on understanding or not the person singing or speaking. Otherwise it is like a blanket over the speakers. I just don’t have those problems. I find other ways.
    Also a compressor with a side chain freq range adjust does the same thing which is all a desser is.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

GC –

… a compressor with a side chain freq range adjust…

I’d be in favor of that too!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

It’s already on the GLD. But you give up broadband compression to use it. Also the is a desser in the fx library you can insert on a problem channel. iLive has channel de-essers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.