More than 4 mono mixes for monitors?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions More than 4 mono mixes for monitors?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of davidweb
    davidweb
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry if this is a commonly asked question or there is an easy solution I’ve overlooked.
    Recently our venue upgraded to the Qu-24 with the AR2412. Love the board and snake so far.
    But one thing is confusing. One of the features we were excited about was the ability to have more discrete monitor mixes for different positions on the stage.
    We currently own 6 powered stage monitors, and we want to be able to feed them each a distinct mix.
    The first 4 are obviously no problem, as there are 4 mono outs we can use.
    But what do we do for the last 2? All the other mixes seem to be locked into stereo pairs.
    There must be a better solution than just using one half of one of those stereo pairs and hooking it up to the 5th monitor?
    Is there a way to turn two linked stereo outs into a single mono out?
    What is considered the best practice for feeding more than 4 mono monitors?
    Is there some routing option to the AR2412 that would solve this?
    Again, sorry if I’m being dense.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I do it all the time. 1-4 5,7,9. 9 is subwoofer mix. 5 and 7 are additional monitors or FX sends. That is on a QU16 with 2 FX sends built in.

Hope that helps.

Profile photo of davidweb
    davidweb
    Participant

So I just use the left channel of the pair and that’s it?
    Is there any setting I can use to direct both channels to that one?
    Most of my inputs are not stereo, so it’s probably not a big deal to use the L on its own, but some keyboard rigs in our venue do use a stereo pair on the input side and if I send only half of that to the monitor I just worry they might not like it.
    Maybe I’m overthinking it.

Profile photo of I am
    I am
    Participant

Select a key fader select key. Press routing touch screen key then mix sends tab. Assign both key channels to left with the pan for stereo mix outs. Easy to overthink lots to think about with these desks.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I really don’t think it will be a problem. Most stereo sounds are not hard left and right but a dimensional blend. Yours ears don’t really hear hard left and right. If they did have a patch that was say a split with something coming out of each side that would be the only noticeable thing but likely they don’t. Try it and see. If they are that picky then get another powered speaker to match and make their monitors stereo. Put the keys on 1-4 if it is an issue then something like bass or kick, snare anything that IS mono on 5-9.

I would try it first. So far I have had no one notice or complain.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

@ I Am. Wow. Did not know that existed. Will have to check it out. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.