More questions on Camera feeds

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions More questions on Camera feeds

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

We are just jumping into the streaming world and our first results were less than stellar. I took the LR and sent it to a Mtx and then to the camera. The problem I encountered was our vocals were too hot. Reason being, we expanded the room and back and need to run the vocals a little hotter for them to sound good at the area in front of the expansion. Could I continue to send the LR to the camera matrix and create a subgroup for just the vocals and then send it to the camera mtx? I’d have to see if we have more DCA’s available, that would be better than a subgroup and is that even possible? Other suggestions? Last question, can you make a Mtx a mono mix I’m only running one cable to the camera.

There were some posts back from 2013 that also suggested adding in an ambient mic. I’ve played with those in the past, but did not have much luck. I got more of a muffled sound with nothing real clean. Maybe my placement was not the best. I’ll look into the NT5’s that were recommended. I even tried our Neuman KM 184 and that did not do the trick.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Setup an Aux mix. Set everything to POST fader, and then set all of the sends to 0db (unity). Next slightly lower the vocal sends by 3db or 6db, or however much is needed to balance the vocals. The Aux will follow the main mix since it’s post fader, and the vocals will be reduced by slightly lowering their sends.

GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Now the dumb question. Why use an aux instead of a group?

GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Never mind. I could get the groups to work at all. Aux worked as advertised.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It’s worth remembering that if you’re using any subgroup processing between the channels and the LR, or any LR bus processing, you won’t have the effect of this in your aux mix. This isn’t normally much of an issue, just something to keep in mind.

Chris

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

A group wouldn’t work because it would be getting the same exact mix as the main mix. The Aux allows you to modify the mix for that aux, making it different than the main mix. The POST aux will continue to track the main mix which is very useful for this type of situation.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Sure, just pointing out that the aux won’t track changes that are being made at subgroups. eg muting a vocal group but leaving the channels faders up and unmuted. In that case the LR mix will lose the vocal signal but it will still be there in the aux mix. Using a DCA fixes that for level and mute purposes, but if there’s any important EQ or compression happening at the groups it would need to be moved back to the channel level if it’s to be heard in the aux.

The other option is to use a matrix and feed it groups and auxes, so you keep the effects of your bus processing, but the downside is that you can only adjust levels as entire groups rather than per-channel, and you’d need every input to be hitting a group since they can’t be routed directly to a matrix.

Chris

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Hi Chris, I was actually responding to GSLC-Tech’s question about why use an aux instead of a group. Sorry for the confusion, I guess I should have quoted that.

Chris your point is correct, anything that goes on within groups won’t be represented on an aux mix. They do have the option to introduce some of the group into the aux mix however if this were the case. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.