More mono mix instead of stereo mix?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions More mono mix instead of stereo mix?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pfr
    pfr
    Participant

Hi, It would be nice to be able to use the mix outs as mono instead of stereo. We never use stereo wedge on stage but with a band of more than 4 we are stuck or use a merger to run the monitors in mono. Please implement the option in a next update.

Cheers Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you just use the left output of the upper mixes then you get 7
    If you have one of the larger boards then 1.8 will give you more possible mixes (sacrificing groups)

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

use a merger to run the monitors in mono

Hi Paul,
    You don’t need to sum the L and R sides. As long as you don’t pan the sends, the L and R sides will be identical.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Is that true of stereo sources?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I doubt it, it would be a balance rather than pan. A ‘width’ control for stereo sources would address this problem.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I agree with mervaka – a width control would be welcome. I’m not sure how tough that would be to implement, but my guess is that it would just be a software button add that could be controlled by the encoder knob.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

For mono sources, just keep the pan control in the center, and both channels of a stereo mix output will get the same signal. For stereo inputs, you may need to use a simple Y joiner to send both channels of the mix output to a mono source.

We run our system in mono, and for stereo sources we send the two channels to separate inputs on the mixer. This is primarily because we use a lot of split-track sources, and it’s easier for the operator to use two faders to mute the un-needed channel. Thus, we only need to connect to one channel of the mix outputs. If you choose to do it that way, and your mains run in stereo, you will have to pan the two inputs right and left.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“For stereo inputs, you may need to use a simple Y joiner to send both channels of the mix output to a mono source.”

It may work, but it’s not good practice to connect two outputs to each other directly. A more sophisticated joiner would be wise.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

A more sophisticated joiner would be wise.

Such as …

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

A simple resistive combiner would be sufficient a correctly designed summing amplifier would be better
    Ian B.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

a correctly designed summing amplifier

Such as …..

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant
    Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Good link – thanks Dick

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

You’re welcome. Seemingly small issues such ass this are unfortunately too common.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.