more info for newer less experienced users

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions more info for newer less experienced users

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

AH should write a series of short book(let)s that explain the basics of audio set in the context of using Qu and AH gear.

This would be beneficial to those using the gear at home as well as the casual volounteer at churches or similar.

Something that explains how to set up the Qu mixer is imperative for such an audience.
    Even if only to help them work with their dealer to best set up the system for them.
    Especially all those connections and settings buried under the myriad of screens. End users should know them!
    Even those who have some experience, or think they are knowledgeable, could find this useful.

After that include basics such as ringing out/tuning the room.
    Feedback problems. And other issues for setting up the device.
    Cables and cabling. USB use and networking approaches. The list goes on.
    Some people always will need help with something.

Specialized booklets on topics that people have problems with would not be hard for AH to do and would sell at modest prices to help build brand loyalty as well as helping the users of AH gear.

I would not go into things like mixing and mastering as there are plenty of books that focus towards them, but focus on topics as they relate to the Qu usage as opposed to apart from the Qu.

Digital should be covered, as my experience says almost everybody is clueless on the real impacts of digital and how it differs from analog. DAWs should be included to some extent as they relate to i/o with the Qu.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Here’s a great series of short videos for Qu: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq3_zC_Xz0PiH4xPVbNZ9W1LEBv5rDTy2

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

The roll of console instructions is your dealer.

If you need more info in audio basic get a training.

In my eyes there is no role for a&h in training users how to ring out the room or solve feedback issues, a&h is a tool provider.

If you buy a car, your dealer provide the info how does the car work, driving lessons you shoud go to a driving instructor.

volounteer
    Participant

@Showtime

The problem is not audio experience.
    What I observed , which prompted the suggestion, was lack of enough Qu knowledge for confidence to do things.

Our A1 was going to try the parallel compression idea (see other discussions here for that!), but told me he did not feel comfortable setting it all up and asked me to help him. I showed him how to do things on the screen but he was still lacking confidence. Granted we are a church not a professional venue like you work with, so it is more likely that our folks have problems that you take for granted.

Just because AH provides tools does not mean they should not help users use those tools.
    I did not say to do it for free nor to spend a lot of money on it.
    But how hard would it be for them to write some more useful guides to help users and sell those to us.

My car dealer showed me how to turn it on and do many other things before I left the lot.
    I know how to drive. I do not always know how a new car works with the changes they keep making.
    Clearly you do not understand what the OP was requesting or else you are …. keith would delete if I said:)

Dealer? You gotta be kidding me. The official dealer is 3000 miles away and we have never seen them.
    They do the entire USA. Not really their job to write guidebooks for AH users as they should be handling other products too.

AH seems to do videos that are slow and hard to use assuming you can find the right one at all.
    While kiddies these days like videos, they are not really a good way to teach anything.

How would more basic guidebooks form AH cause you a problem? Why do you care so much as to comment on that?
    Are you afraid of competition if someone learns more about how to use the Qu?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

There are already many books available on the “art” of live sound reinforcement.

Writing a book explaining how to set up every possible configuration on any mixer
    would be near impossible. There’s always one more something that needs to be
    configured that would not be covered.

Knowing a mixers layout, signal flow, routing set up, ect. allows the operator to apply
    that knowledge and then set up the mixer for needed job at the time.

I actually enjoy thinking through a routing set up and applying it to a mixer.
    Back in the analog days it was patching outboard racks and pushing buttons
    on the mixer rather staring at a screen and changing menu settings.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

The issue is NOT audio or sound. I have read all those books long ago.

The issue is using the AH Qu device to achieve the things the books said to do.

There are no books that cover that which I have found.
    If you know a book that is focused on details of using the AH Qu pls let me know.

Knowing the theory is far different than knowing where AH hid the controls for such items.
    And how they interact and what else gets affected.

I have read the entire manual several times.
    Tonight I got to play with some things I had questions about and did see how some things are done, but there are still related things that are still a mystery. I speculate they may not be in the manual at all. If so, certainly not obvious where they were hidden.

And for the folks who used analog, digital is entirely different.
    They could use such books published by AH for profit that would more than pay the expense of producing them while helping sales and brand loyalty.

Patching things in analog was far easier because you could see what went where and how the signal flowed.
    Now so much is hidden inside. So if you had a mixer set up by someone else, but wanted to make changes, there is no easy way to see what you might be affecting without looking at every possible screen combination.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

So what things are a mystery to you on the QU?

I think having done routing and set up in the analog world
    where you physically could see the routing helps you visualize digital routing and
    then take it the next level that digital can easily do.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

The big mystery is figuring out what all has been done already to make sure we will not interfere with those when we make our changes to test the ideas we have to help our other problems.

Tonight I see that many things I had thought were being done were not activated. EG compression values were set on all mikes but only one mike actually had it activated. We had gotten an email saying how the local rep had added compression to help avoid problems when the orator spoke very loudly.

It is unclear how to tell if something is in a group without going to every input option and seeing if it had been sent to a group. yes, we could do that, but it is a collossal waste of time that is prone to errors if we do do that. There should be an at a glance location to see what is in a group. If there is, I did not see that in the manual. If it was there then the MEGO phenomenon blocked me from seeing it.

In the analog world with physical connections you can clearly see everything at a glance. Digital is buried in the box and is a lot harder to ‘see’ how it is actually set up.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Save a current scene, dive in to the board, if it doesn’t work out recall the scene and start over.

It is unclear how to tell if something is in a group without going to every input option and seeing if it had been sent to a group. yes, we could do that, but it is a collossal waste of time that is prone to errors if we do do that. There should be an at a glance location to see what is in a group. If there is, I did not see that in the manual. If it was there then the MEGO phenomenon blocked me from seeing it.

Ah but there is, page 22 in the manual you so detest!

Select the mix or group you want to check, hold the assign button and all the channel select buttons will light on the channels that are assigned.
    You can also assign or unassign a channel from the selected mix or group by hitting the channel select button while holding the assign button.

Sounds like the installer just took your money and ran, you need to get someone in there who really knows what’s going to go through your system and do some hands on training. Right now it sounds like a Curly, Moe and Larry show in the sound booth.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I read the whole bloody manual before I tried to check things out yesterday on the actual Qu.

It would have been nice if all the pictures were correct with the same knobs and buttons
    in the exact same places as the device I was using.
    Trying to have one manual for several models like car dealers do is not all that helpful.

And thanks, I will take yet another look at p22 to see if that helps.
    My problem is NOT assigning things to the group.

Clearly you are not involved with church audio.
    We have a range of experiences in our people from better than you , and that one eyed guy thinks he is, to just learning.

It is not curly moe and harry but intelligent people whose first job is not audio but are trying to do it better and avoid mistakes. And they have other jobs so anything that wastes time as they try to use the Qu is not acceptable.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Just checked page 22 that you referenced.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the problem or question.

Did you reference some other manual?
    I am using the latest Qu manual:

Qu Series Reference Guide
    For Firmware Version V1.9
    Before starting please check http://www.allen-heath.com for the latest Qu mixer firmware and documentation.
    Publication AP9372

And note that I do not detest the manual.
    I merely noted that while better than many others this manual falls short of what is really needed.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

And then you said this….

My problem is NOT assigning things to the group.

Sounds like to me you are wanting to see if or how channels were assigned to groups or mixes!!

Page 22 is the page, same manual as you have, screen shot attached.

Clearly you are not involved with church audio.
    We have a range of experiences in our people from better than you , and that one eyed guy thinks he is, to just learning.

Your are so WRONG and out of your league!!!!
    I work with dozens of churches with systems ranging from a powered box mixer with a single wireless mic to mega systems with multiple zones, video, ect all set to set up to fill the given needs and operation of the system.

Your problems are not within the hardware.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

insults noted again

I am in a far different and much better league than you think and I do not choose to compete in a minor league like pro audio. But I am willing to volounteer to help if our church needs folks on the A/V committee to handle technology use.

I see your page 22. My page 22 was different. What version of what manual did you take that from?

I can see how things are assigned to a group. I would like to see how I can send them somewhere else useful other than directly external via group out. You are supposed to be able to use them as a mix in v1.9 (maybe 1.8). Do they stop being groups if I assign then as mix not DCA or other? Should I just keep repeating to myself this is a mix and then treat it as the other Mixes? I need to end up sending the group to LR outputs not group outs. Do I need jumper xlr cables to loop them back to unused channels to get to LR?

My real problems ARE inside with the software doing things that is not clear.
    My annoyances are people who think they know anything about me but like to try to put me down to help them with their … deleted so Keith does not remove the entire message.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

A group can be a mix but can not act as a group and a mix at the same time.
    Group outs are always active when sometime is assigned to that group you can choose to
    feed sometime from the outputs or not.
    Groups can be routed directly to the L R mains.

I see your page 22. My page 22 was different. What version of what manual did you take that from?

Same as yours AP9372

Your problem is that you fail to realize that for ever one post you put up that may have some credible information the next four post completely erase that.

Profile photo of Drew
    Drew
    Participant

hello, the IN feature on the compression does not seem to be a topic covered in most compression guides i find online. Can someone provide clarity of what the IN button on compression does?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.