Mono/Stereo Inputs not changing between scenes

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Mono/Stereo Inputs not changing between scenes

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jens-Droessler Jens-Droessler 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Hi Everyone, not sure if this is a bug or by-design but we have a couple of scenes on our SQ6…

1. General Mixing – with local inputs & sLink inputs from two DX168’s
    2. Practice Mixing – using USB-B inputs & multi track output from a PC

Switching between the two, I’ve noticed IO will switch between local/sLink & USB, however mono & stereo inputs won’t. Say we have a couple of local inputs set to stereo in our general scene, but if we switch to our practice scene the inputs aren’t switched to mono. Switching back is the same, set to mono in practice scene but doesn’t switch to stereo in general scene.

Any insight would be appreciated! Cheers

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Apologies I’ve just noticed I posted in General Discussion, not Troubleshooting

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Mono/stereo setting is not a per scene setting, but a system setting. It takes a short time to switch, because the FPGA has to reconfigured slightly AFAIK. You could consider the stereo channels you get by switching them that way to be “hardware” stereo channels, like the stereos on Qu series. Things like that are saved in a show, but not a scene because a lot of switching like that on scene recall could slow down scene change severely, I guess. Yet again it comes down to the missing stereo linking/ganging option, known from… well, EVERY OTHER digital desk.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Cheers Jens.

I reckon we’ll just assign the USB tracks to different inputs.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Dave,

As Jens says – this is because stereo switching is at a lower level than a scene change. Although it happens very quickly, you are actually changing things at the core, and so there will be an interruption to audio – hence not suitable for instant switching using scenes.

As an aside – we are looking at ganging, which is obviously much more powerful but slightly trickier to implement that the linking that was originally planned.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Showtime
    Showtime
    Participant

@keithjah I hop you implement ganging with choise to gang hardware gain, this is something i still mis at the gld.

Richard

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Cheers Keith!

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

This is a good direction, Keith. Talk to us. What can we expect? There are people waiting to buy, not waiting for the actual feature, but waiting on news that the feature WILL be available in the future. “No news” annoys people, even to the point not wanting to buy gear.

So, ganging in 1.3 or later? If later, at least simple linking in 1.3 as a temporary remedy?
    And yes, selecting gain for ganging would be nice. On dLive also!

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

Could there be an option that allows you to change between mono/stereo in scenes? Maybe a preference setting? I get that you don’t want to have the audio interrupted when using scenes in a show. However, for 90% of my uses, it would not be a problem and it is a pain trying to remember to check wether channels are mono or stereo after recalling a scene. I supposed ganging would take care of it.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

As Keith said it’s probably unnecessary in the future, because there will be ganging or linking at least.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.