Mono Output with volume control?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Mono Output with volume control?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MicroStudio
    MicroStudio
    Participant

Hello, I have a QU-16 and I need to output a balanced Mono signal with volume control to my Avantone Mono Powered Monitor how is this done in the QU-16?

Thank you for your time.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Is that a mono version of the main out?

You can get Alt Out to be (2x) mono sum of that, with a physical volume pot as well.

MicroStudio
    Participant

Yes, I need it to be a mono sum of the Stereo Mix bus of my DAW. How do you set that up in the mixer?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Yes, I need it to be a mono sum of the Stereo Mix bus of my DAW. How do you set that up in the mixer?

The ALT OUT is fully patchable in the IO set up menu under the surface tab. There is a choice for L+R mono sum in pre or post fade.

As Mark said both of the ALT OUT outputs are then L+R mono sum signal all with a handy volume knob.

MicroStudio
    Participant

Ok I think I figured it out!!! The QU receives on tracks 17-18 from DAW master output buss automatically when in the source is USB, this is the ST1. In QU you set up as you see in the picture. Then hit the Layers button to turn up ST1 fader and then move Mix 1 fader up and this is the mono output to my Mono monitor. I can then just turn down the Mix1 and turn up the LR mains to monitor in stereo. Awesome!

See photo here

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

to be honest… your question was something completely different and was answered from Mark and Mike

Mix1 is a separate mix… and is not a mono sum of the main stereo mix
    it’s just an coincidence that it fits your needs

MicroStudio
    Participant

It’s coming out of mono output 1 going to my Mono Monitor so then it is summed to mono right?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It’s coming out of mono output 1 going to my Mono Monitor so then it is summed to mono right?

It is and you can send mix 1 to the ALT OUT and still the level knob on the surface.

We all thought you were mixing on the QU16 and wanted a quick way listen to a mono mix.
    If you do that you will want to put the ALT OUT in L+R prefade so you can turn down the master fader and just hear the mono mix on the Auratone.

MicroStudio
    Participant

Sorry about the confusion. The Alt Output is stereo and I do not have a cable to go from that to mono. As long as I have ST1 set to USB this allows you to just use the Mix 1 level to control the level of Mono output 1 which is going to my Avantone it works great and I have a couple of different Headphones I use and will hook them up to Mix 7-8 and 9-10

thanks for your help.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sorry about the confusion. The Alt Output is stereo and I do not have a cable to go from that to mono. As long as I have ST1 set to USB this allows you to just use the Mix 1 level to control the level of Mono output 1 which is going to my Avantone it works great and I have a couple of different Headphones I use and will hook them up to Mix 7-8 and 9-10

thanks for your help.

When the ALT OUT is set for L+R in the IO set up menu it is a mono summed output with both outputs being the same mono signal.

If you select the ALT OUT to be mix 1 each of the outputs are the same mix 1 out.
    Does not matter you can plug into either one and get the same signal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.