Mono out

This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of imrambi
    imrambi
    Participant

My church recently bought a SQ-6. I am wondering if there is a way to sum LR to mono out. We only have a mono system.

I know I can split a signal say, ST3 to two faders and have them centered pan, but is there a way were LR can be summed to center?

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I guess and hope the stereo channels will get the stereo imaging options in the preamp section. There you could set the input to mono (amongst other options). Or are those options there already? I can’t check, as the iPad app does basically nothing without a real desk connected and there is no PC editor yet.

Profile photo of imrambi
    imrambi
    Participant

As of right now, that is the work around. That does tie up two faders instead of one. ST3 I think goes to 47/48 (would have to relook)

It would be nice to have LRC, C besides just LR.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Well, you could use a matrix for output where the main bus is sent to instead of using the main bus as output directly. That should allow you to generate a full mono output. Yet again, can’t try because no editor yet and the iPad app doesn’t offer those options.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

unfortunately the matrix is no option because the SQ only have stereo matrix and you cannot control the width on stereo busses.
    At the moment only a mono subgroup/aux is an possible Option unless you already use subgroups for your mix (vocal group, drum group etc). Then the handling of a mono output is quite similar as you have done it in the analog desk era. (Welcome back to the ’80s);-)

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Disappointing.

Profile photo of TheMAXX
    TheMAXX
    Participant

Why not just route your stereo Main, if that is what you use, to one of the matrix outs and just don’t pan the matrix and only use one side of it. You can only patch one side of it in the I/O screen if you want to.

Profile photo of Gab
    Gab
    Participant

i did use an 2xfemale to 1xmale xlr adapter recently to sum a matrix for mono subs. or is that bad practice impedance wise or because of something else?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

You can use a Mergbox like the Palmer PMB-L. But I think that this problem should be handled by the software instead of extra hardware.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

Gab, yes, that’s bad practise.

Profile photo of Gab
    Gab
    Participant

Gab, yes, that’s bad practise.

could you say why exactly?

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

Gab,

https://www.rane.com/note109.html

Has to do with the opamp feedback circuitry.

Profile photo of Gab
    Gab
    Participant

thank you!

Profile photo of ianmoon
    ianmoon
    Participant

I Believe you can route your mains into a mono group or aux which should provide a mono sum, just set it to 0db and leave it clean.

Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I just went thru the reference manual. On stereo channels there should be the imaging option in the preamp, which you can set to mono. If all stereo channels are set to mono and mono channels aren’t panned, there will be no difference between L and R out, so either one can be used to supply a full mono signal.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.